Saturday, September 05, 2009

Because it's what she does

When we came home from Michigan this summer Angela made the decision to go empty out her classroom. She's been assured by her principal at the end of the school year in June that this wasn't necessary. She'd have a job come September. Well, August was here and she hadn't heard a peep. She hadn't heard from the principal or her union or anyone. The secretary at the school said that it looked like she'd be hired as a permanent substitute teacher but as much as we both adore the secretary at her school, she's not the one who signs contracts or makes decisions. So she went to pack up.

So she went. She wasn't there twenty minutes when she called me in tears. Then she came home for lunch that day and hemmed and hawed and didn't go back. And didn't go back. And cried again. And then I asked her if she needed me to go back with her and she did. So I went. We packed and cleaned and admired the newly waxed floors she wouldn't be walking come fall. I sang songs, loudly, as I carried stuff to my car -- songs I made up about how LAUSD stinks and songs about unemployment and respect. I had a good blues ditty going for a minute.

These pictures are just snapshots of what makes Angela one of the best teachers I have ever known. And I know a lot. Working in different public schools for over four years, having gone through public school as a student, and college, and grad school and now teaching college myself for seven years I know a thing or two about good teachers. Angela is one of them.

This is a box of books that won't get read this year. It'll sit in our garage, in a nice expensive tub we bought to ward off moisture, in the hopes that maybe next year they'll get used. Here's what LAUSD has decided instead:

They have an awesome teacher. A teacher who has a full teaching credential in Michigan (preschool through eighth grade, yep, she went to college a semester longer to get her early childhood endorsement so she'd be extra prepared, extra smart), and in Arizona, and a provisional credential in California for several more years. A teacher who spent a lot of money, time and effort last year to go through the National Board process to become nationally certified. To become nationally certified means you have a full credential in 48 states. It's a big freakin' deal. She had to take tests, create a portfolio, go to classes, etc. It was like grad school hopped up on speed.

So they have this very qualified language arts teacher. And apparently, because of some rules we still don't understand though plenty of people in HR have tried to explain them (not very well), she's still not qualified ENOUGH. She has to have a master's degree to get rehired. A master's degree in teaching middle school language arts? Nah, not necessary -- just any old master's in anything related to teaching is fine. A master's degree from a fancy school? Nah, any old online degree will do. As long as you have one more piece of paper, that's fine.

Now don't get me wrong. I am a huge proponent of higher education. I went to college. I have a master's degree. I have a second degree from UCLA I got just this year. I'm going back to UCLA in the fall to start studying television writing. But for me, I need the practical knowledge. I need the experience, not the piece of paper. Angela has plenty of experience but not the right piece of paper. It's ridiculous.

So here's what LAUSD is going to do. They're going to hire Angela back, oh, how generous you say! But no -- there's a catch. They're going to hire her back to be a teacher. To do everything she did last year. To be in charge of over 180 children throughout the day. To educate said children. But not in language arts, her specialty. They're going to hire her back to teach art. Yep, art. A subject she has never studied. A subject she does not have a credential for. A subject she has little affinity for. Isn't that just inspired?

But wait, there's more -- they're going to hire her back to be a teacher. To do teacherly things like keep attendance records, grade work, submit grades, participate in parent-teacher conferences, write lesson plans (because of course there's no set curriculum, that would be too easy!), etc. And they're going to pay her LESS. They're going to pay her quite a bit less. They're going to pay her as a substitute teacher. Yes, she'll get health care benefits (technically she'll pay for them just like any employee) but nothing else. No sick time, no retirement, no payment for non-student days, etc. Isn't that just fantastic?
So why, you might ask, is she going to do it? Why will she go to her school on Wednesday and teach art and be paid as a substitute teacher for her time? Because of these boxes. Because of all this stuff. Because she's a teacher. Because she cares enough to buy books and supplies and plan and worry and read and not get paid what she should. Because she's one of the best teachers I've ever met. And because no one else is hiring teachers. And don't tell me that you'd expect a neurosurgeon who's been downsized to just go out and get any other regular old job. Neurosurgeons are neurosurgeons. Teachers are teachers. There are brains that need fixing. There are kids that need educating.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Are they hiring neurosurgeons? maybe I could go back to school for that?

Laura said...

It's so disrespectful to her and the other teachers in her position. I hope they don't have the gall to say, "Well, be grateful you have a job." That just makes me insane.

Anonymous said...

It's a world gone mad everywhere. I'm glad Angela does at least have a teaching job to go back to. It's better than nothing, even if it's wrong and unfair. And the children she gets to teach will be lucky.