Monday, March 15, 2010

Another Lenten devotion for you

Today the second Lenten devotion I wrote for HUMC's book runs. Here it is:


Luke 15: 17-20

And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.


When I was growing up my dad would always settle arguments with a simple request: “give each other a hug”. And hug we would, although sometimes more begrudgingly then other times. But that request always reminded me of the fact that we were still family, that we loved each other despite what else happened, and that we were connected, emotionally as well as physically.


In this passage of Luke the lost son’s father’s first response upon seeing him return wasn’t to question where he’d been or what he’d done or berate him for leaving. The father’s first response was to hug his son. And to me, that simple act embodies the love of God perfectly. The lost son’s father exhibited that love to his son and my own father exhibited that love to me time and time again (and still does). An embrace. A hug. A physical act of pulling someone into your arms and letting them know that you love them.


How often do you hug others? When I ask myself that question the answer varies depending upon the day, how I’m feeling, where I’ve been, etcetera. But I know what I want the answer to be. I want to hug others regularly. I want to be a physical example of God’s love on a regular basis to those people in my life. To those people God loves and wants me to share His love with.

When I first started teaching I worked with first graders. They’re notorious huggers. And they’re equal opportunity huggers. If you have legs they’ll wrap their arms around them. If you get down on the floor you’ll quickly have little ones in your lap. And I love that about children. They love – and hug – so unconditionally. They are a physical example of God’s love to everyone.


I am going to challenge myself this Lenten season, and all of you, to be more physical in our expressions of love. Jesus gave us a very physical, tangible, expression of His love by dying on the cross. The lost son’s father hugged his son. My own father hugged me every time I’d do something wrong. Of course not everything can be undone or forgotten after a simple embrace but isn’t it a great way to start down the path of forgiveness? Of sharing God’s love? I think so. And I’m going to work at hugging more. Watch out!

1 comment:

Justin said...

Please write a book of these.

Thanks.