Friday, May 14, 2010

The newspaper

For the first few days of my mom's visit out here to Los Angeles I went to the gas station and bought her a copy of the L.A. Times newspaper. Then I decided it would be easier, and cheaper, to get it delivered. One call and the next morning, voila! newspaper on the front step.

I read bits and pieces of it while she was here but not the whole thing. She read it religiously and pointed out good articles and funny comics we cut out and mailed to my dad. Then she flew home Wednesday morning. But the newspaper didn't stop coming. Yesterday, on my way out of the driveway to take Ang's car to be service, I threw the paper in the passenger seat. And I read it while waiting at the dealership. I learned about the whale stuck in the nets at Dana Point. I learned about the overnight failures BP had with the oil mess. And I felt a little more educated than I had been that morning.

I've been thinking I should probably cancel the subscription but I haven't done it yet. So this morning I grabbed a bowl of cereal and headed toward the TV. Sometimes I eat at my desk, sometimes I eat in front of the Today show (which I really don't like after 7:20), and sometimes I eat while watching last night's The Daily Show. But instead, today, I saw the paper sitting there. So I sat down at the dining room table and I opened it up.

I learned that the whale has been freed (and nicknamed "Lilly", though they don't know it's sex) but won't go back out to sea. I learned that children who spend copious amounts in preschool have a tendency toward risky behavior as teens. I learned that LAUSD can't fire anymore teachers at 3 school because of a court order. And I learned that I really do like the newspaper.

It took me all of 15 minutes to go through the newsprint pages. There was a lot I didn't read -- ads and the sports mostly -- but I also got a chuckle out of the few comics I remember reading as a kid and I read my positive horoscope for the day (You'll do what you believe in, and that will work well for you.) and I felt a little accomplished.

I think I'll keep the subscription going for another week, see if this trend in slowing down and reading something not on a computer screen continues for me. I like it. I like the feel of the paper in my hands and the idea that I'm learning about my community a bit more by not skipping "all the boring" parts while reading the paper online.

Also, I think I'm a bit prejudiced toward actual print newspapers. I've spent a good chunk of my life writing and a good portion of that has been writing for newspapers. I still vividly remember finding out that a story I'd written had been selected to run in the Lansing State Journal back when I was in community college. Some friends told my parents the good news at church that Sunday morning and we had to go meet up with the Old Car Club for a trip that afternoon. As we were waiting for everyone to arrive I saw a paper box and I ran down to the corner with the requisite 50 cents. I put my money in, opened the box, and promptly took out every single copy of the paper in there. I don't think that's how the paper box is supposed to work but hey, I was excited!

So, for what it's worth, long live the newspaper! And here's to reading it with a bowl of cereal every morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was talking about the newspaper this week. We had about a month when our subscription lagged and I hated it.

I *LOVE* to feel the paper in my hands!
-jamee

Writer Monkey said...

I completely understand your Mother's love of newspaper. I love to turn pages, read print, and feel the paper. I do not even like to read my school assignments online. I am a writer by blood, so the feel of ink and paper is something that I grew up with and treasure.