Friday, June 24, 2011

A day in the life...


Today's one of those days, rare lately, where I've been totally immersed in writing. Since I started working at the elementary school I've had fewer chances to devote large chunks of time to doing so. I'm not complaining at all, it's just a fact that I have to squeeze the writing into the spaces a little more creatively. Combine that with my working with a manager who wants new ideas strictly in pitch form right now and I just haven't been as focused on the words lately.

But not today. Today I finished up the outline for my latest foray into spec scripts (scripts of TV shows I write for my portfolio, to show to people who can hire me to write for their TV shows). I'm working on a Community spec, it's a sitcom and I'm loving it. I've been mulling the story around in my head for probably eight to ten months now. It's just been rolling around up there like a snowball, slowly gathering more and more snow, until it was a fully formed snowman of an idea. This week I pitched the idea to my writing group and got their laughter-infused blessings so I moved to the next stage: the outline.

For me, outlining takes several forms. I first wrote my idea out in long form, then I put it into bullet points broken down by acts. After I get some feedback from my writing group this weekend I'll create a beat sheet (basically an outline with scene headings and maybe some more description/more jokes) and then I'll likely move right into writing the script. Once I have the idea down on paper the process goes quickly for me, something I am extremely grateful for.

So I'm writing this Community idea, which is silly and full of movie references and just plain fun. The stakes are high for a comedy show but no one's in danger, no one's getting hurt, and even the mean-spirited jokes are light. But once I send it out to my writing group folks, I move on to another project, even though I'd really just like to go lay on the couch and watch more Sports Night on Netflix Instant. (Best invention ever - I no longer have to put the DVDs in to watch some of my all-time favorite shows!!!!)

So now I'm working on a pitch for a new project, a television pilot (an original idea not one based on someone else's show). It's a one-hour drama and it involves spies. It's basically the complete opposite of Community. So I spend some time googling and here's what I'm researching: how to convert semi-automatic pistols into automatic mode. Yes, the complete opposite of what I was doing earlier. But guess what? I LOVE IT.

I'm fascinated by what I'm learning about pistols. I'm intrigued by what I've researched about the Department of Defense and I'm having so much fun creating these characters that they're already talking to me - sharing with me the rhythm of their language and the way they carry themselves. And I can't wait to figure out what should happen next. Because anything can happen, ANYTHING AT ALL. Because it's my show. They're my characters, my story, my decisions. Seriously, this is way too fun.

It'll get tedious, I know. I know all too well. I'll write a pitch, then I'll have to change the pitch. Then there will be outlines and draft upon draft of the script. There will be revisions and editing and proofreading. I'll be so sick of it all by the end I'll hide it and never want to speak it's name again. But for now, this story, what I get to do all day today, is pretty darn cool.

No comments: