Friday, August 26, 2011

Thelma & Louise

I was only thirteen when the movie "Thelma & Louise" came out in theaters. Much too young to see an R-rated movie (thank you, Mom and Dad -- I think too many kids see too much way too early) and frankly, I have no recollection of the film except for the title characters names and how our family quickly turned those names into nicknames for my grandmother and her cousin.

My Grandma MacDonald loved movies. She took us grandkids as often as she could sneak us away and I loved that about her. She and her friends went often I remember, she saw way more movies than I did growing up. And I remember her going with her cousin Elaine, from Canada, to see this particular film. And shortly after, they earned the nicknames because of all of their traveling. Those two traveled all over together. I love thinking of their stories and looking back at their photographs...

So when the opportunity came up to attend a screening of the 20th anniversary print of the movie, I jumped. Angela had never seen it so I bought two tickets ($3 and free parking - a steal in this town) and off we went. And had a great time. The screening took place at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences theater on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. And I have to tell you - it was quite something to watch a movie, surrounded by so many movie lovers and craftspeople - and to have two giant gold Oscar statues at either end of the screen. Very cool in deed!

There were a number of filmmakers and actors in the audience, some who'd worked on the film, others who were just there to enjoy I assume (Tate Donovan was directly in front of us!) which was pretty cool too.

All in all, a good night. The screening was followed by a Q & A with Geena Davis (actress), Mimi Polk Gitlin (the producer) and Callie Khouri (the Oscar-winning screenwriter) which was enlightening as well -- they talked a lot about how Hollywood needs more films made by and aimed at women. I agree. And I'm trying...

4 comments:

Puggleville said...

How cool is that! Geena Davis is awesome. I still haven't seen that movie...now I want to add it to Netflix and movie it to the top of the list. :)

Puggleville said...

...er, move it, not movie it. Too early...

Anonymous said...

Printed this and showed it to the other half of T&L.... made her smile. She said that you aren't that different than they were - out on an adventure and just taking it all in. Hugs D

Kelly said...

What a great experience that must have been. Thelma and Louise is in my top 20 all time faves!