Monday, February 27, 2012

Finally, 'fore!' in California!

Saturday was a beautiful day in Los Angeles. It was 66 degrees and sunny. Perfect golf weather made even better by the knowledge that there had been a snowstorm in the east the day before. So when a co-worker of Angela's found out we had never played golf, never even hit balls, in California, she decided Saturday would be the day to remedy that.

It's true, even though we've lived in California almost four years, I've never swung a club here. I moved my clubs around in the garage and thought about it many a time but life always got in the way. But guess what? There's this pretty famous public golf course just a few miles from our house down Pico Boulevard right across from Fox Studios. I drive by it numerous times a week. I watch people in golf wear, people in sweat pants, people who can't hit the ball, people who probably should be across the street working, all playing but until this weekend, it had never been me.

So off we went on Saturday. Our new friend Susan and her husband are golfers and she grew up just down the street from "Rancho" so she showed us the ropes. The place was packed, as it is most days, but we managed to get two stalls next to each other after only a few minutes. Between us we hit a couple hundred golf balls (I have the blisters still healing on my hands to prove it) and had so much fun. We had brunch at a nearby restaurant after and just reveled in the idea of being in Southern California in February, playing golf.

And we found out several members of our Bible study are golfers so I sense another outing soon...

No comments: