Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Elaine!

You know how sometimes you have those people in your life who've just always been there? There was no beginning to the relationship, it started long before you were ever a part of the picture. In my life, one of those very important people is Elaine. And today I was so happy to be able to talk to her on the phone and wish her a very happy 84th birthday.

Elaine has been my other grandmother for as long as I've been alive. Related to my family on my mom's side, my grandpa's cousin technically, we've been family forever. We've celebrated vacations and holidays and weddings and deaths. And to me, Elaine has been more than she may ever realize.

Since I moved to California, even to Arizona before that, I've realized how important it is to keep the people I cherish close whether it's through a letter, a card, a visit or a quick call. And ever since my grandma died last April, it's become even clearer to me that life goes by so quickly, too quickly, and that we will never have enough time to spend with the people we love. Our people.

I am so thankful for Elaine in my life, for her sharing her family and herself with us Yankees all these years (Elaine is of the Canadian relative-side). I'm thankful for her unconditional love and caring, for her soft voice and her big hugs. I'm thankful that I've got her to dote on now that grandma is gone.

So happy birthday, Elaine! I'm glad you got cake today and I can't wait to take you to lunch this summer! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SSSSOOOO much - she will love reading this! Hugs hugs hugs D