Thursday, November 15, 2012

Task Rabbit

If you know me, you know I've been working several jobs for the past four years. I write, I teach online, I teach in the classroom, I assist a writer, et cetera et cetera. So, when I read about this new website called Task Rabbit in Time magazine, I surfed on over and immediately signed up. I went through a background check, several virtual interviews with my handy dandy webcam and Voila! I'm a Task Rabbit.

So what's a Task Rabbit do? Anything someone needs doing. This is how it works: You, the customer or person in need, posts a task online. You can post what you'll pay or you can let us Rabbits bid. Then we bid or accept the job, show up (or do it online), and bam! You get your task done and I get paid.

So last week I went on my first job, downtown L.A., to help set up for the Small Business Expo. I was one of about 10 Task Rabbits there, and about 50 others working, and it was really great. Everyone was very hospitable, I was assigned multiple jobs throughout the day and when my shift ended (I worked 9 to 5), I shook their hands and came home. (The guys in charge were super - they even ordered pizza for us for lunch!)

So what did I do? I put together easels and hung signs. I unpacked crates organized furniture. And then I spent about 4 hours stuffing gift bags with promotional materials (see some of that above) which was a long, tedious activity but...I was being paid and the other Task Rabbits were very friendly. We chatted about other jobs, gluten, the election, favorite TV shows, et cetera. So all in all? A great first Task Rabbiting experience.

If you ever find yourself in need of someone to do a task, I'd recommend the site (tasks can be done in any number of cities listed on the site) or virtually. And surf on over and find my page if you're interested! I have a Task Rabbit number and I can be requested specifically for jobs.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When can this come to Canada? Love the idea!!!