Sunday, December 30, 2012

Gleaners


Last Saturday, December 22nd, Angela, my mom, my dad and I headed to a small industrial park just outside of Howell. There we found a door in the back and entered a large warehouse. Inside? Gleaners Food Bank. Now, I've been to food banks before, worked at many in college and grad school, et cetera. But this one was a bit different. Set up like a grocery store, with scales instead of cash registers, it's designed to look like any other store. The difference? People make appointments to shop and get so many pounds of food based on their need. They shop on average 4 to 6 times a year and popular items include peanut butter, jelly, soup, boxed milk, and fresh pastries. This time of year there's also candy for stocking stuffers and toys for the kids.

It was an interesting experience, one I'm so glad we could have. My parents have worked at Gleaners before, in the fall, with a church group, and talked so highly of their experience I couldn't wait to get a chance to go too. While there we stocked shelves, helped bag groceries and check people out, and do just whatever needed to be done. We got to empty some of the donation bins from the local schools (side note: if you ever find yourself donating to these bins, consider donating a case of something - a case is much easier to shelve and display than several single cans of different things). I enjoyed the time because we weren't doing just one job - we were milling about, taking ownership of different tasks, helping the customers, chatting with the other volunteers. But most of all? I'm glad that there are places like Gleaners, places where families who need help can get help. Places where the mom with the toddler can stock up on milk and cans of beef stew. Places where the couple can get fresh squash to make soup for Christmas Eve. Places where there are donuts sprinkled red and green for the father to take home for Christmas morning. I'm so glad.

No comments: