Monday, May 19, 2014

Pepe Update - He Lives!

My really bad picture of Pepe from last night, see his paw on the white fence on the left hand side
Yesterday afternoon a friend asked about Pepe. I had no news to report. He had apparently seen the cage and marshmallows and by now stale Kashi bar and taken the first path out of town. Or so I thought.

Fast forward eight hours. It was quarter to eleven last night, pitch dark, and I was lying in bed reading. I hear a noise and couldn't determine if it was on the street or behind our house but I wasn't concerned. I grew up on the busiest street in Howell. Without air conditioning. I can sleep through almost anything. But then the noise got louder. Almost a purring. And yep, there he was. Pepe.

He walked by on the fence just outside my window. The fence that separates our side yard from the neighbors driveway. He walked the fence like he owned the place. Then he got down, on the neighbors side and proceeded to have himself a grand old time.

The motion light came on next door but no one seemed to investigate. I don't know the neighbors more than to wave hello and they have indicated to us numerous times they don't speak English. Which is a lie since I heard the husband speaking almost perfect English on his cell phone last week. But anyway, they are quite neighbors and their dog never barks. We love them.

So Pepe had himself a night. From just my listening in, he seemed to jump down on their car and onto the trash cans (I am totally guessing, I actually have no idea what he did). But I did see him on the roof overhang at one point. He made lots of loud grunting and tick-ticking noises while he was purring. Then he proceeded to walk along the top of the fence three more times. I checked the trap when it got quite but he wasn't there. I'll try some new bait today.

So Pepe lives. And lives well, I might add. No I'm not going to set out water and food bowls for him like a friend suggested. Yes, I still want Pepe to leave. Mostly because it's a bit disconcerting to have him prowling around outside my bedroom window at all hours of the night. Also because I know he's not a good house guest. Also, because I'm almost out of marshmallows.

1 comment:

Betsy :) said...

Maybe leave Pepe some Pringles???