Friday, September 18, 2015

This very moment

I've gone through the last few weeks, actually the last month or so, thinking soon it will be fall. Soon things will be back to normal. Soon I'll be back in a routine. Soon I'll feel better. Soon I'll have more time. Soon. Soon. Soon.

The thing though? Soon is now.

I've had to spend some time recently coming to grips with the fact that this is life. There is no, oh I'll wait for this job or that event. I'll figure it out when I reach this milestone. Nope. That's not how it works. How it works is this is today. There are things that need to be done today. There are things that should be done today. There are things that could be done today. Likely, a small percentage of that will happen. I'll check Twitter too many times and I'll realize that I've been lying in bed for an extra hour instead of the extra ten minutes I promised myself.

It's been a long year, I keep telling myself that. I keep thinking about all that has happened in my life, how each day seems so short and so mundane but in reality, things add up, things are complicated. Life is messy. And some days all we can do is make it to the end and pray to God we get a few hours in front of the television lying on the couch, zoned out.

Last week I had a panic attack. I hadn't had one in quite some time. Well, maybe I had one in Michigan when I thought about boarding a plane and coming back to LA but I'm not sure. But last week it really happened. I was home alone in the morning. I had my ear buds in, I was rocking out to my favorite screenwriting podcast, and I was cleaning the house. I was cooking. I was doing a million things at once which is how a lot of my weekdays are spent. Don't be fooled. A script never gets written here straight through on Abbey Place. There will be plenty of distractions and events that hold it up.

But this day I was going full out. I was feeling good and I went into the bathroom where I keep my blood thinners and I noted that my little seven-day pill box was empty. I filled it up. I went to the kitchen. I did ten other things. Then I realized I couldn't remember if I'd taken one of my pills. Okay. No big deal, right? Except? It's kind of a big deal. My hematologist explicitly told me at my first visit never to stop taking my medicine unless a doctor told me to. Not to miss a day. And here I was, not sure if I had or hadn't taken it.

Sure, I could take a second (maybe first?) pill. But upon finding the pill manufacturer's website I learned that's a really bad idea. Like if you take two doses you need to go to the hospital bad. So I couldn't do that.

So instead? I sat on the bed and I cried. I cried big ugly sobs. And then I talked to Angela and my Dad (who takes the same medication and who apparently forgets to take his all the time and is still alive) and I wiped my eyes and I followed my Dad's advice: Forget about it.

See, there are only so many things we can worry about. There are only so many things we can do. Some days we'll feel like a million bucks. We'll look great, our hair will lay just so, we'll get our 10,000 steps in and our Fitbit will produce that computer smiley face we all crave. And then some days? We'll barely make it to the end. We'll feel like failures because we spent all day "writing" and we have a half of a legal pad page to show for it. Or we'll forget to get the chicken out for dinner and it's still frozen at seven o'clock. Or we'll get so angry we honestly never think we'll feel happy again. This, all of it, is life. I've been reminding myself of that weekly, daily, hourly. This is what we didn't sign up for but got anyway.

And those people who appear to have it better than us? I seriously question that. We all have shit we have to deal with. We all have to make it to tomorrow, next week, the end of the semester, or just through the next meal. We all have to make ourselves workout and eat better and read the news and not cry too much because there's nothing we can do about those kids coming out of Syria. We all have to try each and every day to be happy. To be healthy. To be love. No, not loved. To be love. To be light.

I want that for my life. I want to share my spirit, my voice, my heart, my love. I want to make it through the day and not be glad it's over but be glad it happened. I want that. So much.

And so today, and tomorrow, and the next day, I'll work on it. And it'll happen. Soon enough. Because soon is now. This very moment.

2 comments:

mommaof3 said...

I want that too. I want to share life with you. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Liesl Eichler Clark Another insightful piece, Sarah! You will enjoy this read, Peter.
Bonnie Jacobs So much of my own daily thoughts in this piece... Thank you for being you & sharing. Big (((hugs))) & love ya bunches. You are light & love!
Debi Bailey Boutell Awesome, as always. But this one made me cry.......I've been there, I will be there and I'm probaly there right now!! Love you!
Jan Clay Enjoyed this! You are such a talented writer Sarah! Much of this reminds me of the poem "The Station", which I preach to my husband all the time. If you're not familiar with it google it! :)
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg Thx just what I needed to read
Christina MacDonald Knapp You hit the nail on the head!! It has been a rough year. I totally understand, Sunday I hit that bottom out life, it does get better.
I have to believe that, God helps us so much.
Love you
Becky Trepasso So true, Sarah! Loved this post....peace to you, dear friend!
Janet Adams You are so right it has been a rough year. We just have to take on day at a time and get through it. Love to you and hugs!!
Olga Rodriguez-Munoz Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing. CariƱos.
Devon Gholam Everytime I read one of your entries it reminds me I REALLY need to spend more time reading your blog instead of the other crap I often do on devices and computers! Always love your writing and your perspective!
Laura A. Hovermale You nailed it. Exactly. *hugs* Thanks for reminding us that we all go thru this. We are indeed all in this together. Love you, my friend!!!!