Monday, November 09, 2015

The first annual Los Angeles Autoimmune Walk

Yesterday Angela and I arrived at the Culver City Park around 7am. The sun was bright, the air was crisp, and the park was already full of smiling volunteers, balloons, and signs of an amazing day to come.

Why? Well, because yesterday was the Inaugural Los Angeles Autoimmune Walk. You all know this is something near and dear to my heart, not only because of how autoimmune diseases affect members of my family, dear friends, and myself but because I think scientists are superheroes who need all of the funding we can get them so they can help us to live long, healthy lives. And by helping out with events like the autoimmune walk, I can help these superheroes.

It looks like the walk, and a poker night held last Sunday, contributed about $80,000 to the fight against autoimmune diseases. It's no where near what people raise annually for cancer research or diabetes research or so many other amazing causes BUT...it's completely astounding that this much money was raised in just a few short months because my friend Barbara Ramm decided to do something. Instead of focusing solely on her disease, which frankly, she has every right and expectation to do, and take care of herself, she enlisted her family and her friends to put together this event. There are only two other walks that have happened to support autoimmune research, and two others scheduled for early next year, and Barbara thought, well why can't we do that? So she did. And it was pretty great.

It was a crazy, long day but God smiled on us and gave us the perfect California day. Sun shining, not too warm, perfect t-shirt and shorts weather. And He sent us so many great volunteers. And when people started showing up to register who just found out and wanted to help? That was pretty cool. Almost as cool as the couple of little kids who brought big envelopes stuffed with cash collections. I was so surprised to find out how many children fight autoimmune disease. And how many want to change that. They were there, decked out in handmade t-shirts and angel wings and with huge smiles and ready to go. That alone made the whole day worth it.

We raised hundreds in a silent auction and raffle. We gave away donated cookies and pasta. We thanks Chipolte who fed hungry volunteers for free. We watched as little kids whacked pinatas and as big kids played awesome music. We smiled as celebrities walked the purple carpet and as families surrounded each other in this fight for life. It was a day of so much busyness and so much happiness that all of the little snafus and first-year growing pains washed away quickly. Faces were painted, big and little, miles were walked, and stories were told. And at the end? We did a whole lot of good for a whole lot of people. Hugs and kisses ended the night and promises to work together again soon. Why? Because this huge amount of money is just a tiny drop in the bucket.

During the event, we wrote names of diseases and people we walk for on links and then joined them on a chain (my links included my Aunt Gloria, my friend Abby and myself). A chain that was carried during the walk and a chain that will be joined together with other links from other events bearing the names of other people and diseases. A chain that will eventually be taken to Washington D.C. and wrapped around the capitol in a human chain to tell Congress just how important this research is for so many of us. And I'm guessing, from the amount of people I talked to yesterday, and I talk to all the time, so many of you.

Thank you to those who prayed for, donated to, volunteered at, and walked during our event yesterday and the one last week. Thank you for caring enough about me, about the people I love, to make this fight not one I must take on alone but one you take on with me. Together, we can make a difference.
Barbara & I with signs from the walk's path


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On Barbara Ramm's repost:
Sarah Knapp Such a great day!!!
Barbara Ramm It was spectacular:) And I appreciate you and Angela more than I can say!
Heidi Darrah You captured this day beautifully!