Thursday, December 15, 2016

Aunt Gloria

December 1979
The Saturday after Thanksgiving I was shuffling through the mail that had just been dropped off and I saw a red envelope from Guideposts magazine. I sucked my breath back into my body and I stared down at it. I knew what it would say even before I opened it. And I was right. A subscription had been gifted to me for Christmas, just as it was every year. From Gloria Hoolsema.

But here's the thing, Gloria passed away on November eleventh.

It was a complete surprise. And it was completely expected.

Since before I can remember Gloria had been battling Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It hit her quick decades ago and it hit her hard. She swiftly moved into a wheelchair and the disease ravaged her physical body. But not her brain. Or her spirit. Never her spirit.

May 1983
Angela and I went home for the funeral. It was important to be with our family. It was important to say goodbye. To remember the good times. To remember the not so good times. To sit in that church on that Tuesday and thank God for her life. And to be a little bit angry at what had happened. Back then and again that week. It's hard sometimes. Most of the time. To make sense of what illness does to us, all of us.

August 1982
Gloria was just thirteen when I was born. Young for an aunt. And I don't remember much from when I was little but the photograph books loving assembled tell me she loved being an aunt. Pictures of me from birth, in her arms, her on the ground playing with me, we look happy. We were happy. We played, we read books, she babysat us, even accompanied us to another uncle's wedding so my parents could party all night while she watched over us. I attended her graduations, and even later, went to her alma mater -- Olivet College.

And Gloria supported me in such an encouraging way. Even though words were few, especially in later years when MS took most of her ability to speak, she always made sure I got gifts that helped shape me. Novels by Christian authors, books she thought I needed to read, and the aforementioned subscription to Guideposts. I honestly think of her and her faith every time I pick up the small periodical.

Her faith was on display for all to see. She lived her faith every single day. She was an active member of her church, from her chair. She preached without words, as we are taught to do as Christians, and she preached loudly. She loved loudly.

She loved her children, her husband, her family, Texas sheet cake, playing cards (winning even more), family genealogy, music, and so much more. But I am blessed because she loved me. To have her with me for thirty nine years was beyond special. To have her memory with me forever, an unbelievable gift. One of my most favorite memories is from just this past August, at her son Jeremy's wedding. We danced all night -- all of us. Gloria on the dance floor surrounded by her friends and family, her lifetime of love, we all danced together. We sang favorite songs and made sure no one was left out of the circle. We took photos and hugged and to say I am grateful for that day is such an understatement. To know that we were all together for something so happy, something so celebratory, just months before she was gone leaves me gulping through tears. Happy tears, for the most part.

August 2016
There were tears that Friday morning when we found out she was gone. There were tears for days, shared with family and friends. Shared for her love, her spirit, her faith. But also because the world is a little less bright right now. A little less shiny. Gloria is gone but she will never be forgotten. She is a part of me, of so many. A bright, shining, loud part. And I love that. And her.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really, really beautiful Sarah. On Gloria's behalf, thank you!
Dan

Anonymous said...

Larry Schenkel
Gloria sounds like a wonderful aunt who will forever be in your heart.
Paula Wortinger
What an awesome Aunt, and such a nice story and memories!!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
What a treasured family
Kerri L. Knapp
I read this blog through tears. She was such a loving person. This Christmas will be tough for all of us.
Tammy Mergener
Beautifully written..a nice loving tribute to her.
Jamee Boutell Brick
so lovely-
Jessica Ashley
I had a similar experience. For the two Christmases after my grandma died, I received red Sox Christmas village pieces. She had purchased them all to be delivered for the three year release. It was such a beautiful and wonderful gift and reminder
Sarah Knapp
That is a lovely reminder, Jess. <3 <3
Jessica Ashley
Makes you feel like a piece of her is still there. I hope you guys have a merry Christmas, even with your grief. I hope we see you guys while you're home
Sarah Knapp
So true. Thank you. And yes - me too!
Dan posted the blog on his page with this: Sarah Knapp wrote a beautiful tribute to Gloria. Thank you Sarah!
Judy Hamilton
Thank you for sharing this Dan. A beautiful testimony to Gloria and her beautiful spirit and deep faith.
Left unsaid is your deep faith and your unfailing loving care of Gloria.
Dan Hoolsema Thank you Judy!
Kay Allen
I miss her beautiful smile on Sunday. My prayers are with Dan.
Email from Dan -- That was really, really beautiful Sarah. On Gloria's behalf, thank you!
Reply -- It took a little while to figure out just what to say:-)
Dan's reply -- Well, you ended up finding the words!