Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Happy Birthday, Dad

September 1979
He's known as Dad #2 to one of my college roommates. He's a favorite Facebook friend of many of my friends, some of whom he's never met or only met once. He is always an hour early to pick me up from the airport (well, except that one time but we'll blame mom). He spent hours driving alone on Michigan and Indiana highways to see me play golf in college and made me cry by showing up unexpectedly to my last ever match that was pretty far away. He sat with me and studied at the dining room table every single night the year I took AP American History (and probably learned more than I did). He made me practice my multiplication flash cards even though I never got much better. He will always, always, do the dishes after I cook or bake. He has stood outside of women's dressing rooms and gone to get different colors or sizes more times than I can fathom to count. And yes, he always holds our bags and purses. His laugh is infectious. To the point that we'll get giggling around the dinner table and it takes concerted effort to bring us all back past the point of crying.

He's had two holes-in-one so far in his golfing career. He's served his country in the Air Force and then again working for the State of Michigan for his entire career. He was the field trip dad and the choir concert parking lot manager (even if it was twelve degrees outside) and the parent who showed up at school when there was sickness or strife. He asks us what he should watch on television. He reads whatever I write and makes sure others read it too. He cries whenever anyone wins an award or a game or anything. (And as his daughter, I do too.) He devours books and crushes crossword puzzles. Ask him to help paint golf balls into garden ants? He starts an assembly line. Want a giant Jenga set for the yard? The next two days are spent in the garage cutting and sanding and staining.
January 1, 2017

There is nothing he would not do for me or Angela or my mom, or most likely anyone he knows. He's the guy who goes to the meetings, volunteers, helps set up or clean up, shows up at the party, tells the jokes, laughs at yours, and then asks, what's next? He's honestly the best man I've ever known.

Today Tommy Lee Knapp turns 70 years old. I've known him for only 39 of those years but I am blessed beyond belief. I am loved beyond belief, by him. Because he loves us all. Our family, our friends, my friends, people he's only heard me tell stories about. As my mom might say, tongue in cheek, he's perfect. Well, actually, he's human. But I'm so glad he's one of my humans.

I love you, Dad. More than words could ever express. I can't wait for our next adventure together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doris Bancroft
❤❤❤And many many more of those! Happy Birthday Tommy!
Christina MacDonald Knapp
So true!!! Hugs to my wonderful daughter for writing this blog. Hugs to family and friends.
Susie Hanner
It's all true!
Chris Tidball Niblock
Love this! The description totally fits. He's one of the kindest guys that I know.
Mary DeVier
I have to say tom is lucky to have you you're lucky to have tom one great man . I have to say your dad is 1 in a million !! 💞💞💞💗
Becky Trepasso
Great tribute for a great guy.... Happy birthday, Tom, I value your friendship!
Andrea Livernois J
ust Beautifully said Sarah! He's always there when & where he is needed. You are blessed!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
Yup, that's your dad. Again, you nailed it, that is if you could fit all the wonderful things your dad is on paper.
Shirley Goodner
seems as though lots of us have great, loving dads who were not the sperm donors - i think that those who never took the responsibility to be a "donor dad or mom" didn't have anything to offer in that regard anyway - just my thought - been there
Tammy Mergener
Sarah! What a beautiful tribute to your dad. Every word is true. He's a very special man. I love reading your blog😊
Molly Smith Volz
What an awesome tribute Tom!
Tom Knapp Thank you Molly
Stashia Bill Nicol
Happy 70th Birthday Tom...wishing you many more blessed years!!!
Tom Knapp
I would like thank everyone family, friends who I consider family and friends I haven't met yet, who have been with me on life's journey for the last seventy years, for the well wishes hellos and cards yesterday. What do you say let's continue this journey we're on and see what happens next.

Anonymous said...

From 2018 repost --

Sarah Knapp I love you!
Ayelette Robinson Thank you for being a spectacular human being in this world.
Larry Schenkel Wow, that was a really good birthday note. I like Dad stories, and it sounds like Tom is a wonderful Dad.
Sarah Knapp He is!