Friday, April 21, 2017

A new project!

Back in September of 2016 I came across a posting in a Women in Film Facebook group. In the post, Ayelette, an actress, was looking for collaborators. She wanted to produce a web series. She was looking for a writer, a director, etc.

So I responded to her posting.

And last Friday I sat in a rented room at a place called Space Station and watched as she read with a whole host of actors auditioning for roles in our web series. OUR WEB SERIES.

To say I'm still a bit in shock about the whole thing is an understatement.

Back in September Ayelette and I talked about what she was looking for in a partnership. She wanted to tell a good story. She wanted to have fun. She wanted to work with other women. I wanted all of the same things. And so after our initial FaceTime chat, I got to work. I was starting from scratch, not an unfamiliar place for me but a place that takes some time to dig out of. See, I have to build the hole and the shovel and the person to use it all before I can dig out.

There were more conversations. There were a lot of emails. But the cool thing is, Ayelette gave me time and space to create. And it was a pretty great feeling to know I was writing for an audience that wasn't just me and my little circle of readers. She was pretty committed to making this series.

I finished my work this winter. A premise I crafted, characters I envisioned, all down on the pages of seven scripts. And then Ayelette got to work.

Yes, I've had hope before. Yes, I've been excited about projects. There've been table reads, staged readings, pilot development, even that short film made for Lifetime that didn't go anywhere. But this is something more.

This is someone renting the casting room at Space Station. This is actors, who've had real work in real movies and shows you've heard of, coming in and reading scenes I've written.

That was the most surreal part last Friday. As I settled in between the director, Katy, and Ayelette, to watch the auditions, I didn't realize at first that they'd be reading scenes from the actual scripts. I mean I should have, that makes the most sense, but I didn't. And then the first actor started to read. He was a man in his 70s, saying words I wrote for a character in his 70s. I couldn't stop smiling.

Me & Ayelette
I also couldn't stop smiling because Ayelette and Katy immediately took me into the fold of the casting session, they included me, as if it was the most natural thing in the world for me to be there. And, just to let you know, that's not always the case for us writers in Hollywood. In my limited experience in this business I've been brushed aside as "just the writer" several times. To be fair, I've been lauded as "the writer" as well but you never quite remember the good as well as you remember the bad.
Ayelette, Katy & me

And so, by the end of Friday, they'd cast several parts of the series. They're still looking to fill several other parts of the cast and crew. But it's happening. There's a weekend in May when shooting will begin. And I cannot explain how excited I am that I'll get to be on set.

I've learned to be a bit more hesitant in my celebrations of good news when it comes to my writing. Things happen and then things don't. Things fall apart much more quickly than they come together. But this one...this one is moving right along. And I can't wait to share it with the world. Soon...

7 comments:

Bonnie White said...

wow how cool, so proud of you......have fun and keep sharing your journey with us.....

Anonymous said...

Mom posted blog with comment: My daughter's exciting news!
Nancy Pettibone Great news, for sure.
Sue Hardy Douglas Proud of you! Congratulations!!
Theresa Foley Wright Yay. Way to go
Jeannine Pratt Congratulations!!!!
Debi Bailey Boutell Oh, my!!! ROCKSTAR! Family celeb! So happy for you, you deserve this awesome thing!
Tammy Mergener Very exciting news!
Renee Bartlett Love it
Judith DeGraw Congratulations from Howell.
Ellen Haist Paige How exciting!
Mary Smith Oh Chris this is so awesome!! So excited for all of you!!!
Jill Pennell Wow! This is awesome! Wishing you the very best through this journey! Congrats! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Donna Ledford Hoornstra That is exciting! Way to go, Sarah!
Karen Strok finds this all so exciting! Great news and can't wait.....Sarah Knapp, simply outstanding! YAY!

Anonymous said...


Heather Gruenewald shared your post.
April 26 at 6:32pm ·
I am so excited for Sarah Knapp and this project!
❤️❤️❤️

Anonymous said...

Tom Knapp Break a leg Sarah
Sahara Ford-Davis So excited for you!!!πŸ˜ΊπŸŽ‰
Moni Wood YAY!
Doris Bancroft So so awesome.
Jamee Boutell Brick Love love love this!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg So excited for you
Bonnie Jacobs YAY!!!!!! So excited for you!!
Christina MacDonald Knapp Love this!! Exciting!! πŸ€—
Andrew Janey Hooray! P.S. i live at the space station! Lol!
Sarah Knapp It's such a cool place I never even knew existed!

Anonymous said...

Daniela Hook this is great news... congrats!!!!
Leigh Anna Fry This is so cool, Sarah!!! Congrats 😁
Tom Knapp So Proud of you ❤️❤️
Christina MacDonald Knapp So excited!!! Way to go!!
Lisa Ferguson So very cool!!!!!
Carolyn Rollins Damron I am anxious to hear more about this Sarah! I am so proud of you and I would like to hear more. Hugs
Sarah Knapp Thank you! I can't wait to share more! Love and hugs!
Melissa Acosta-Jensen Wow!!!
Tammy Mergener Congratulations!
James Boutell Very nice, congratulations
Jeff W. Carl Congrats, Sarah! Awesome News!
Kerri L. Knapp Congratulations Sarah!! Can't wait to see it!
Connie Staley Congratulations Sarah. So very happy for you.
Dawn Harvey Kittle So happy for you.
Julia Pratt Szkrybalo Way to go Sarah!

Anonymous said...

From Ayelette:
I didn't know you had a blog!!! I just saw your post on fb about your new blog post, so I browse your blog and lo & behold I see a post about our project!!! It's been a rough week and it made me cry.

I'm *so grateful* you have no idea for the magical script you created out of absolutely nothing. And I couldn't be more thrilled that The Couch is happening.

Thank you for the post. It made my week.

My response:
Oh yes, me and my blog go way back! I'm so glad you found it and enjoyed it!


It really has been a magical experience for me too -- and I'm so glad I get to be a part of the whole experience with you and Katy! For the past few years I've been on the fence as to whether or not this is what I should be doing. Every month or so I try to decide whether or not to go back to teaching full-time or move back to Michigan. And this just gave me the fuel I need to believe in myself a little while longer!


I hope your week continues to look up and I'll talk to you soon! ♥

Her response:
That moves me so much to hear that. There is no question you should be writing, not an ounce.

I'm right there with you with the struggle, but I can tell you this is definitely what you should be doing.

We will make this happen for both of us!!!!!!

Laura L. said...

So exciting! I have been woefully lax in keeping up on your blog :-( and I had a few minutes just now and found myself wondering what the entire situation was with this series (I'd seen Tweets and some Facebook posts but hadn't mentally stitched it all together). I can't wait to see it!

Also I can't imagine how cool/weird/fun it is to hear your words spoken aloud by a character you've created and who is now being embodied by someone live, someone real. That's amazing!