Friday, May 19, 2017

The Couch - Day 1

Last Friday was supposed to be the first day of school, Christmas morning, the day vacation begins. But it was delayed. Our director had the stomach flu. And so, Monday became all those good things wrapped into one day. Our first day of filming on our web series, The Couch.

The first day of shooting, right before the first shot!
I packed my bag the night before. I printed out my script. I got my camera all loaded. (I am the onset still photographer!) I didn't sleep very well. I got up early. I dropped Angela at school just after sunrise. I drove to the Valley. And I got to the house where we'd be shooting all day. And there were people there.

The sound mixer. The script supervisor. The director. The director of photography/set designer/homeowner extraordinaire. Then the producer/lead actress arrived. And the other actress. And the production assistant.

Eight of us arrived for work that day all because Ayelette wanted to make something and I created something. HOW COOL IS THAT.

I really can't get over it. Seriously. I kinda hope I never do. The idea that as a writer, I am creating worlds. Creating lives. Creating stories. Creating emotions. The idea that as a writer, and particularly as a show runner (which I am not, yet), I am creating jobs. Creating opportunities. Creating work.

I am still a little bit in shock.

The day began with a 7am call time. I left set about 5:15pm. And yet? It felt like I'd been gone just mere moments. And? Days. At the beginning of the day I was anxious, nervous even. But within minutes of being on set I felt at ease, at home. There was work to be done, questions to be answered, things to be written, ideas to be bandied about.

Know this about Hollywood, the writer is not always invited to set. The writer is not always welcome on set. I've heard tales of writers who can't watch the movie they wrote because it's no longer their vision or because of how they were treated. And yet, I've heard the opposite too. There are filmmakers and directors who insist the writer be involved every step of the way. Particularly in television where writer is queen. And I've experienced it too. In my Hollywood adventures I've been welcomed with open arms, lauded as creator. I've also been shooed away, the door physically shut in my face, calls unreturned and uninvited to the process, deemed simply the writer. Someone unnecessary in the next step of the evolution of the process.

But this has not been the case on this project. I've been included and included and invited and deferred to. I've been celebrated and acknowledged and I cannot thank my collaborators enough. Monday would not have happened without every single one of us in that room.

I had different jobs on Monday. I took it upon myself to come up with affirmations for the set chalk board that would be in the shot. I used the chalk and channeled my best seventh grade teacher handwriting. I volunteered to be in charge of the clapboard, changing the scene numbers with the chalk I kept in my pocket, and clapping in front of the camera before each shot.

I also watched everyone else do their jobs and tried to learn from them. We had a first time director, a first time producer, a first time director of photography, a first time script supervisor. I asked questions during downtime and made notes. I want to soak it all in so I'm ready for next time. So I know how things are happening, how I can help, and how, maybe, at some point, I can tackle directing and producing.

Apart from soaking in all the new activity around me, I tried really hard to enjoy the moment too. To revel in the reality that these actresses were speaking my words, my story, inhabiting my characters. It was amazing to hear the crew laugh at lines I had written alone at my desk not knowing if they might sound funny or odd or off. It was amazing to watch these actresses telegraph the story that I thought was completely make-believe but upon watching it play out time and time again, made me realize perhaps it's a bit more personal than I might have previously thought.

Katy (director), Linda (script supervisor),
Meagan (director of photography)
I didn't want to leave the Valley Monday evening. In fact, after we wrapped (meaning the actors were finished with their part), four of us crew members sat in the backyard and took a few moments. We were all exhausted, mostly mentally, from the day, from the week, from the months of preparations. But we were all, and I'm just speaking from observation here, really excited.

We talked about the day. We talked about the trials. We talked about how we only ended up finishing one scene instead of the planned two. And we discussed the script. They asked questions about my choices, about my stories. They talked about how we'd portray different parts during upcoming filming days. And when we headed to our cars, the director told me how grateful she was to have me on set.

I know every experience will not be this perfect for me. I know I will not always be welcomed into the fold quite so readily. I know I will not always see my story portrayed quite so unfiltered on the screen. I know I will not always look around the set and see that I am surrounded, almost completely, by amazing women.

But I will always remember.

And I will always strive to recreate it. Because that's what I do. I create.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is our first day of filming & my family got me this awesome red bag to carry to set! Thank you, Angela, Christina & Tom! (photo of red bag)
Amanda Neyrinck Hopkins So excited to see/hear about your project!!
Tom Knapp Need pictures
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg Good luck on the filming. So exciting
Rita Richardson Good luck today!!
Liesl Eichler Clark Break a leg!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Lynn Carusi Go get 'em girl, good luck
Ayelette Robinson That bag is awesome!!! And everything is awesome when you're part of a team!

Anonymous said...


Sarah Knapp
May 12 at 7:17am ·
I had on a brand new shirt. I had my new bag. I had my camera (I'm the onset still photographer). And Angela had just asked if I wanted her to take my picture like it was the first day of school. That's when I picked up my phone. Filming has been postponed a day. Our director is really sick. We're all bummed but we want her to feel better and so we shall try again tomorrow. But the cool thing is if we go ahead tomorrow as planned Ang will get to be there! (And help with craft services!) So now? Now I sit back down at my desk and get busy writing the next thing. #writerlife
Christine Landreville Yes! First day "of school" pic!!!!!
Ryan Hoog Oh no! But I like your positive attitude!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg You could still post the pic😍
Sarah Knapp Tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

First day, headed to set pic posted May 15th!
Carolyn Rollins Damron I want to hear more about this I'm proud of you honey
Sarah Knapp Thank you!!! <3
Julie Toothman Phelps Yeah!
Tom Knapp You go Sarah ❤️🎈🎈
Julia Pratt Szkrybalo Have fun!
Karen Lopez ·Go, and show them what you're made of
Jan Clay It will be fabulous!
Cherita Armstrong Break Legs!!!
Angelita Teresa Yay!!! Hope it goes great!!!
Connie Staley Good luck! Wish you all The best.
Janet Liggett Hamlin EXCITING !!!
Tammy Lopez Medlock Awesome!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg Pic so worth the wait
Sarah Knapp 😊😊

Anonymous said...

Angela Knapp
May 15 at 7:29am ·
Thrilled for Sarah Knapp as she embarks on a new journey today! Stay tuned for The Couch, a web series coming to a screen near you soon!
Tom Knapp A big step in your journey love you
Sarah Knapp Thank you! Love you!!!
Darcee Harman Excited for SarahπŸ‘πŸ»

Anonymous said...


Katy Harliss shared your post.
May 15 at 10:06pm ·
Words cannot express how proud and grateful I am to be working alongside such an amazingly, talented and dedicated team of people. Seriously. A huge thank you to The Couch crew for the most awesome day 1 of shooting. ❤
Katy Harliss
Sarah Knapp having you onset was the biggest gift of all. Thank you for being so perfect. Your words are what's making this story come to life. ❤
Sarah Knapp I am so thankful to have been welcomed so heartily! I loved every moment and you all are beyond awesome! I can't wait to do it again!

Sarah Knapp said...

Posted pic from end of first day on set.
Christina MacDonald Knapp Awesome!! Women can do anything and everything !!! You go girl!!
Connie Staley So happy for you. Hugs
Janet Liggett Hamlin Let this be the first of many!!

Anonymous said...


Ayelette Robinson
May 15 at 11:52pm ·
Today was the first shoot date of my series, #TheCouch. I'm not gonna lie, the preparation has felt incredibly hectic and overwhelming at times. A few tears were shed. But then today happened -- a group of talented, creative, eager, determined professionals working together seamlessly to create something wonderful. And I feel grateful and proud and joyful and like I can't wait to do it all over again. Thankfully, we have several more shoot days to go. [Inspirational photo from the set!]
Sarah Knapp Such an amazing day! You put so much work into bring everything to life!

Anonymous said...


Ayelette Robinson shared your blog.
May 19 at 11:24am ·
I want to cry every time I see Sarah because her incredible story is the key allowing a vision I had 2 years ago to become a reality. Here is her blog post on our first day of shooting #TheCouchWebSeries last week!

Anonymous said...

Sarah Knapp Big shout out to Ayelette, Katy & Linda! Ladies, you inspire me! And Steven, you rock!
Ayelette Robinson You are the ultimate creator. Something I'm amazed by, I admire, I desperately need for my own work, and am - not to put too fine a point on it - in awe of. (Excuse my lazy preposition endings.) And yes, there were so many little but ridiculously accurate details and parallels to my life in the story, I kept asking myself "did I tell her that? I don't think so. but I must have. how else would she know? but when would I have told her?" It was simultaneously confusing and delightful.
Sarah Knapp Thank you! I love that - "simultaneously confusing and delightful"! I am going to strive for that in my writing always!!!! <3 I love how much you, and hopefully so many others will, connect with the stories!!!!!!!! And I can't wait for Day 2!!!!!
Ayelette Robinson Me too!
Tom Knapp Sounds like a great experience
Doris Bancroft It is REALLY happening!!! Wahooooooooo
Linda Sue Lehman So cool!