Friday, August 18, 2017

The Couch - Day 11

I'm not sure how to describe the ten days we've spent making my web series The Couch. Tomorrow will be our eleventh shoot day, and our last. The same crew each day, coming together, each performing very specific jobs, to make something that is completely unlike anything we've ever seen before.

Ayelette & the bear claws!
I could say it's been eye-opening. And that's so true. Last Saturday I watched as Ayelette, who's portraying our main character Penelope, performed a half-page monologue over and over. As a writer, I was conscious of the fact that someone would have to memorize, then say, and then act out the dialogue I'd written. But it didn't occur to me that nearly half a page of dialogue is a lot to say all at once. She did it beautifully and perfectly, over and over again. And then there's the bear claws. And the peach yogurt. I'd written these actions into the script months ago. But I didn't think about what would go into our actress actually eating on camera. Trust me, it's a lot. But it was fun too! To see Ayelette bring Penelope to life, to see her eat a bear claw like I'd thought about in my head back in the fall. It still amazes me!

I could say it's been a lot of work. And that's also true. There have been a few rewrites, there have been many discussions about wardrobe and actions and whether props have been procured and whether locations have been checked out. And really, my job is mostly done by the time we get to set each day. I'm still helping out whenever and however I can but it's been fascinating to learn so much about each of the jobs on set from these amazing artists. And each of them, Ayelette, Meagan, Katy, Linda, Steve, Annie, Cristina, Debbie, and Jay, have been awesome at including me in their process, sharing with me about their skills, teaching me what they can, always willing to answer questions or wait a few extra seconds because I'm slow on the uptake.

Bear claws! 
I could say it's been enlightening. I've learned so much about my writing being on set during filming. I've heard five different actors inhabit characters I created. Characters I saw in my mind, tried to describe on the page through mostly dialogue, characters I made up from the ether. And actors have become them. They've treated them with care and love and genuine excitement. I've learned what my words sound like coming out of actors' mouths. I've learned what it's like to hear some of my very personal stories and thoughts and beliefs come through the page and jump onto the screen.

I could say it's been exhilarating. Still, ten days in, I'm completely blown away by what is happening. I love being on set and am thrilled I've been able to be there every step of the way, every minute of every shoot day. To watch these actors and crew members, to be a part of this, I am beyond grateful. And I cannot wait for tomorrow. To do it all again. One last time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie Fan
So honored to be a part of helping make your words come to life Sarah!
Jamee Boutell Brick
Love it!
Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
I can only imagine your excitement at witnessing someone giving birth to your words
Tom Knapp
Now that's a bear claw
Ayelette Robinson
Actually that's TWO bear claws!!
Ayelette Robinson As you know, this has been eye-opening, a lot of work, enlightening, and exhilarating for me and for all of us I think! It's like riding Space Mountain for the first time -- you're not sure where you're going, you can't see where you're going, and at any moment you could have the bottom fall out from under you, but you always end up rising up again!!!!
Sarah Knapp Yes yes yes!