Sunday, May 17, 2009

This Old House

This is a picture of one of two outlets in our kitchen on Abbey Place. It's true. Two outlets in one modern kitchen. Some of you may say, what? That's plenty. But you're wrong. Very wrong.
This is a picture of the second outlet in our kitchen. This means we have a total of four plugs. One is constantly taken up by the refrigerator (I suggested unplugging it for a few minutes today, that suggestion was not taken under consideration). So in reality we have three plugs. And the ones in the first picture are in a completely useless place. (We plug in the radio, sometimes the Hot Shot water heater, that's all.)
Here is Angela beating the egg whites IN THE DINING ROOM. Yep, where there's carpet and a plug that's not even near the table (thus, the chair/counter space). She couldn't use the second plug in the kitchen because the waffle maker's plugged into it, heating.
And just so you know, she only got a little off the foamy stuff out of the bowl. Overall, she did a good job, even using her body, wrapping it around the bowl at one point, as a human shield against egg whites. She deserves a Michelin star just for that.

So yes, we live in an old house. There's a cabinet door in the kitchen that has never closed. In fact, it is always completely open unless I shut it very carefully, tiptoe away, and then it stays semi-closed for a good five seconds. Maybe ten if it's not humid.

But I love this house. And we're getting it all spruced up. This week we got a new roof on the garage and part of the house so we've managed to get everything back outside into storage. That means we won't be able to go golfing or sleep on our air mattress at a moment's notice because those things have been stored in the trunk of Ang's car but we're happy to have a non-leaky roof. (I really want it to rain so we can see if it's waterproof. Come on Southern California, just a shower or two?!?!?!)

Also, the exterminator came this week, twice, and is helping us with our ant problem (only 7 ants in the last few hours, such an improvement over the last week!) which is very exciting. And the plumber comes tomorrow to fix the broken toilet. Oh how I love this Money Pit, I mean our wonderful old house. Really. I love it. And I'm going to love the homemade waffles Ang is making in the dining room!

P.S. -- Here are the waffles. So good! And I found a little bit of Cool Whip left in the fridge (which never happens) so they look like they came from IHOP!!!

4 comments:

Angela said...

I love making waffles from scratch and I love my Grandma Mac for teaching me how to make them all those years ago!!!

mommaof3 said...

at least it's a rental ;)

Anonymous said...

I've 'cooked' in strange places, too, in my time. Now I have a kitchen with over a dozen power points, and it's still not enough, or they seem to be in the wrong place. But at least I don't have to consider disconnecting the fridge.

Anonymous said...

When I come out, I'll get you a power strip and you can plug it in and have lots of plugs. See you soon!!!!