Monday, January 25, 2010

Slimmin' with Simmons!

When I was little I remember seeing Richard Simmons on infomercials for his "Sweatin' to the Oldies" workout videos and "Deal-A-Meal" diet. Later on I remember seeing him on David Letterman and it was always funny but I assumed the workout was for older people and just another one of those fads. But just a few weeks ago I learned that he teaches classes right here in Beverly Hills and my immediate reaction was, "I want to go!" And go we did...

Saturday I headed over to "Slimmons" - Richard's exercise studio, fifteen minutes from our house with Angela. We met our friends Tanya and Tony there. We went early for the "Project Me" class ($12) and found ourselves being hugged and kissed by Richard and then sitting in circle around him on the floor talking about forgiveness, food, exercise and laughing hysterically! This class lasted about 45 minutes and then he said we'd let the others in and get started with the exercise portion (another $12 which I didn't think was bad at all for a class). All of a sudden it was chaos!

The doors opened and the people rushed in. I estimated there were 200 people in that studio - which is totally 80s, mirrored walls (even hidden doors are mirrored), disco ball, pink and green steps for step aerobics, etc. And everyone just found a place so we did too - and then the music began (not oldies at all - Black Eyed Peas to start, a mix Richard assured us he made just for us!) and we were off.

Now I've always been a bit timid to do group exercise. I was a horrible P.E. student in school and even in Yuma where I enjoyed the classes I always felt like I was a step behind. And not quite dressed right. And too big to stand in front. But not here. At Slimmons there was no time to think about that because we just started! It was amazing. Richard yelled and moved and laughed and everyone just did it and it worked - so many people, squished together, even working out in the hallway but everyone was smiling and moving which was awesome!

And work out we did. I was sweating by the end of the first song but there was no break. We moved and moved and moved and then got water and then kept going. At one point we made a huge circle around Richard and he pulled people in to demonstrate moves with him. And of course Ang and I had been identified as "the sisters" right away so we got pulled in but even then, I just focused on moving my feet. It was pretty awesome. (He also walks around and constantly helps people, at another point in the class I was doing crunches with Richard Simmons holding my feet still!)

After the aerobic/dance part we did toning with 8 pound weights (yep, all 200 of us) and push-ups and stretching. We ended the hour and a half class with a little pep talk about forgiveness from Richard and more hugs. It was really amazing.

I never would have dreamed, years ago, that I would spend a Saturday morning working out with Richard Simmons who was wearing a $700 red tank top (Swarovski crystals!) and his short shorts! What I loved most was that the workout was for everyone - there were skinny people, heavy people, coordinated people, less coordinated people, celebrities (yep! honest to goodness, in a movie being considered an Oscar nom, celebrity), and me. And I loved it. I can't wait to go back. And next time, I'll take my camera!

2 comments:

Rick said...

Wow that is awesome! I was just wondering what happened to Richard Simmons. I hadn't seen any infomercials with him in them lately. Now I know that he is hanging out with you and Angela! That is really cool. Get some good pictures next time you go.

Writer Monkey said...

That is AWESOME! Just saw him on t.v. a few days ago and he never ages. I remember the same infomercials from the 80's and he is still wearing (very proudly may I add) his short shorts. Yeah for you going and yeah for him still getting out there. Very spiffy.