Monday, October 04, 2010

Improving...

Saturday night Angela and I went to a sneak preview of the movie "Life As We Know It". Very cute, lots of laughs, great supporting characters. However, I was most excited to see it because it was the movie in development when I interned at Gold Circle Films. I smiled when I saw their name on screen and the name of one of the executive producers who I worked for. Very cool.

When I was at Gold Circle it was the second script they had me read just so I'd know what everyone was talking about (the first was their movie "The Haunting in Connecticut" that had just come out that weekend). There was a lot of buzz around the office because they had just confirmed that Katherine Heigl was going to sign to star in the film. No one else had signed yet but because of Heigl the movie had quickly leap-frogged from just another movie to a big deal. The budget had suddenly skyrocketed, the studios involved had tripled, and the headaches had suddenly multiplied.

I wasn't at Gold Circle through the whole development of the movie but it was still very exciting to see it up there on the screen. To think that just two years ago the words being spoken by these actors were simply words on a piece of paper, parts of a hundred page script written by someone just like me, sitting at a computer at a desk. That will never cease to amaze me.

I've started a new writing project, again. I'm rewriting a script for the third time, a complete rewrite, new scenes, new ideas, etc. And while I had heard rumors of such rewrites from instructors, I was sure that no one would re-conceive a project this many times. I was wrong. I'm proof. But it's also exciting. As I write this story I love again and again I'm realizing that I'm becoming so much better at my craft. No, I'm not an expert or accomplished or anything like that but I am improving. I'm learning and applying that learning to my words. Words that someday might be up there on that huge screen people watch while eating popcorn and Twizzlers.

No comments: