Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back at it

Tuesday felt like a normal day - not only was it Angela's first day of school (as a full-time teacher finally!!!!!) but I was back to my regular Tuesday routine. Drop off stuff at Goodwill, head to Homeless Lunch, coffee (and then lunch, we had a lot of catching up to do!) with Sonora, producer and actress extraordinaire!

After about two hours of chatting with Sonora about everything we'd missed over the last few months, I finally broached the subject: my script. I'd sent it to her the day before we left for Michigan (the first time) and while I'd heard rave reviews over the phone and via text, this was the first time I'd seen her in person since I'd handed it over.

There was no hesitation in her voice when she started talking about the pilot and what she said caught me off guard, but in a good way. She wanted to do a table read, where actors read the parts sitting around a table or a living room, to hear it out loud. I don't know why this surprised me so much. It's something I've done with all of my scripts. At UCLA we read 10 pages each week from people scripts. Every single week. No matter if they were first drafts or thirtieth drafts, horrible or awesome. We read. It was part of our education. And it was amazing. To hear other people read words I had put down on the page, words I had made up. To hear people laugh or draw in a breath because of something in a story I created. Wow. It's just...it leaves me speechless still.

And then when I started my own writers' group we had table reads almost weekly. Of outlines, of rough drafts, of finished projects. It was a very important and necessary step, to hear the words aloud. I encourage all of my writing students to do this. To read their writing out loud. It's amazing how it changes and what you hear that you couldn't see.

However, both at UCLA and in my writers' group, when we did table reads, it was just us writers reading. Sometimes I'd have to drag Angela in to take a few roles and I'd have to read stage directions but it was never with actors. And I think there might be a difference...

Sonora has found several actresses and actors who she thinks will be perfect for the main roles in our sitcom. She left me an excited voicemail yesterday detailing how these people even look like what I've imagine. I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

So it's happening. We'll gather at her apartment sometime in the next few weeks, share a meal, and then I'll sit back and listen. Listen to real actors (not that my writer friends didn't always do an awesome job reading!!!!) read my script.

And then we'll get to rewriting.

Because this is only the very first step. I made changes in the script yesterday before copyrighting it and sending it off to Sonora. I added a hair dryer and changed a character's gender. And I know there will be many more changes to come.

But it's starting. We're back at it. And it feels completely surreal and completely amazing.

4 comments:

Betsy said...

HOW. EXCITING!!!! You've got to throw in the poop comment:)

Anonymous said...

WWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So excited!!! ~Cedric

Puggleville said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!