Monday, August 19, 2013

Really the best sister ever

Today is my sister Angela's birthday.

It's been a long month. It's been a long summer. Frankly it's been a long five years. Or eight but hey, who's counting? But you know what? Angela's a trooper. And today's her birthday and she deserves amazing things and to have a fabulous day, week, month! And truth be told, today is not going to live up to my normal birthday standards. The month hasn't either. There are birthday banners in the living room I put up Friday afternoon. There's the birthday accordion sign wrapped around the TV we use every year that grandma and grandpa gave me when I was little. But sometimes life just isn't that happy. Being a grown up is about realizing that and despite that, making the best of being alive today. Because today's really all that's promised to us.

And yet...today is Angela's birthday. So I at least want to brag on her a bit. She's teaching today. Teaching with a cold coming on (thanks germy germy sixth graders!) and a heavy heart and when it's 85 degrees in her portable classroom. But when I visited her at lunch and we ate our chicken salad, she still had a smile on her face (yeah, it might have been a little forced but it was there!).

Angela's pretty awesome. Not just as a sister. As a sister, she's top notch. Has been for over thirty years now. But as a friend. As a roommate. As a teacher. As a person.

Did you know she just got her full-time teaching job back after being employed in the same job for the past four years? Yep. That's right. She's been teaching for four years but being paid as a part-time employee. Now she's back up to elite status. No one is happier for her than me.

Did you know she came to Los Angeles just because I wanted to? Yep. Left a full-time, guaranteed for life basically job in tropical Yuma for the uncertainty of Tinsel Town. And no one is a bigger cheerleader for me.

Today is Angela's birthday. I wish I could throw her a huge blowout or treat her to a night in a Tiger suite. I wish life were simpler and a little happier today. But guess what? It doesn't matter. What matters is that Angela is amazing. Simply amazing.

Happy Birthday, Little Sis. I love you.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with that! Happy Birthday "Little Cousin"

Anonymous said...

ItsDaniela Hook
Great post.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a kick ass little sis

Carol Reinig
Felt every line as I read your sweet blog for Angela---there will be much happier birthdays, but you have each other and that is pretty amazing from where I sit!

Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
Great post - the love you express is probably the best gift ever.

Olga Rodriguez-Munoz
Say happy birthday from me. Have fun!

Olga Maye
Awwww!! Sweet post! Angela is super awesome and I wish her a wonderful birthday! 😊

Tom Knapp
Wow

Rene Carlos Ledesma
THE MOST WONDERFUL SISTERS i KNOW!