Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Surprise 40th Party


For much of last winter and spring Angela and I worked on a project. That project? Throwing my mom and dad a surprise 40th anniversary party in June. It was quite the undertaking. First, we had to
make sure that it stayed a surprise because my parents are very anti-anything that puts the focus too much on them. This isn't a bad thing it's just how things are. They don't want big celebrations for birthdays or retirements. (I guess I got all the non-humble genes in the family, i.e. birthday month, et al.)

Second, we had to coordinate with field operatives on the ground in Michigan because we wouldn't be back in Howell until shortly before the party in June. So when we started planning back in January, we enlisted the help of some wonderful friends and family members. We had Susie sneak over and raid their Christmas card book for addresses. We had Julia gather decorations. We shipped hundreds of mason jars to Susie's house. We ordered mason jar cookie cutters and sent them to Marie. We put Doris in Canada in charge of the cake and so on and so forth. It was quite the six months.

Angela and I wanted to do this for our parents for several reasons. One, they have been married 40 years. That's something awesome to celebrate. Two, they do so much for all of us. And I do mean all of us. Family and friends and daughters alike. We wanted to celebrate them, the people they are and the large extended family they've created during their lifetime together. And third, who doesn't like a big old party? Exactly!

We settled on a theme:
Having a Ball since 1973 (hence the mason jars, Ball jars to be exact) and set to work. And next thing we knew we had over 100 people set to join us and countless people volunteering to help, make food, decorate, donate time and money to the endeavor. Their wedding anniversary is technically June 2nd but Angela and I wouldn't be there then. So we settled on June 29th.

The two weeks leading up to the party when Angela and I were in Michigan were busy. Harried. Crazy. We had to organize and prepare for this party. This 100+ guest party without letting my parents in on the secret. There were lots of fibs and little white lies. Lots of secret trips to Target and "sightseeing" that never took place. Instead we were coordinating with caterers, ordering drinks, hanging decorations, et cetera et cetera.

So did it work?

Yes!

We ended up surprising them. They thought they were meeting Angela, Jeff, Julia and I at Jeff and Julia's house to go to a play about Ernie Harwell in Detroit. (And yes, we eventually did get to see the play!) The rain that threatened held off and as they pulled into the driveway, this is what they saw:
Family and friends from near and far waiting just for them. To celebrate them. And from the looks on their faces, I think they were surprised. And a little overwhelmed.


Did the day go perfectly? No. There were too many baked beans. We didn't get as many photographs as I'd have liked. We never did turn on the music. But overall? I think it was a smashing success. Mostly because my parents enjoyed the day. They talked with friends and family they see every day and those they rarely see (Noelle, Angela's and my college roommate came in from Chicago and my parents hadn't seen her in over eight years - that was awesome).

But we did it. We pulled off a surprise party for my parents. We celebrated their 40 years of marriage and family. We celebrated them. And we had an awesome time doing it. Here's to the next 40 years, Mom and Dad!

(NOTE: Yes, this blog post is a little late. Over four months late. I kept meaning to write it right after the party but life kept jumping in the way. In Michigan there's always something more interesting to do than sit behind the laptop. There are bonfires and baseball games and grandneighbors next door and people to hang out with. But also? Five days after the party, the party both my Grandpa and Grandma Boutell were able to come to, my Grandpa went into the hospital and a few short weeks later we buried him. Just over a month later we buried my Grandma. So, the blog was not top on my list of priorities. But, I wanted to get some of it down, some of the memories on the page, as I always do. So, here it is. Better late than never!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamee Boutell Brick
Love! Love! Love! Such a cool theme. Kudos on a job well done!

Marilyn Watson Roxberry
What a great job you and Angela did on this party...I know your Mom & Dad loved it! We all enjoyed coming! Thank you girls!

Tom Knapp
Yes we were surprised