Friday, November 01, 2013

October is over

That's right, the month of me, the month of my birth, is over. And, part of it was all about me as I wanted it to be. Part of it wasn't. (See going home to Michigan for my grandmother's funeral, see working as a freelance editor and being at the mercy of others schedules and needs, see dealing with college students, see a nice little recurrence of vertigo).

But...I did really focus on doing things for myself. I was conscious about what I ate, what I drank (I was very conscious of having to buy a new bottle of tequila last week because the last one was empty), and what I did. I moved more. I walked almost every day. I did my squat and plank challenges. Yesterday I did 200 squats. In a row. I have never done that before. It wasn't easy, but it certainly wasn't impossible. And I'm going to do it again this month! I also held a plank for about 2.5 minutes. Not the 5 the challenge said I should be able to hold at this point but it's a lot longer than I could hold a plank on October first (about 10 seconds).

Will I keep going in November? Yes. Though baseball is over (damn Red Sox), the leaves are crispy and falling (even here in Los Angeles), and the mornings and nights are much cooler, the sun still shines and every day is still another day I'm alive. A day to work, to write, to move, to laugh, to love.

I'm going to do an ab challenge, the same squat challenge, and my walking challenge this month. I'm going to look forward to some time with friends and time alone, at my desk or with a good book (Detroit True Crime anyone?). I'm going to look forward to Christmas and going home in just a few weeks. I'm going to remember that even though October is over, I can still focus on me. And that's an okay thing to do. 

No comments: