Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Guest Blogger - Angela's Advent Devotion



Here is the devotion Angela wrote for the Hollywood UMC Advent Devotion Booklet: 

Isaiah 40:9-11

“He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms…”

When the holiday commercials start on television, the decorations line the aisles of the stores, and the songs are piped through the streets I think of family. The holidays to me are family. Shopping for the gift that will put a smile on a loved one’s face, baking a favorite family recipe, and sharing in the hugs of the season are my favorite things.

Spending time with our family is what makes the holidays special. Family comes in all shapes and sizes and is found in many places. God wanted us to be His family; he has called us to him. He feeds us and gathers us into his arms. He is love. In Jesus, God sent us the most precious gift we will ever receive.

This holiday season my family is smaller than it was last year. With the passing of three grandparents this past summer I know this year will be different. I know that there will be moments of sadness and wanting of years past. But I also know that God will gather me in his arms and feed my soul. Traditions will be passed on, new traditions will start, and the memories are forever mine.

This holiday season when you sit sown to share a meal or reach your arms out to welcome someone into your home be mindful of the moment you are in. Go as slowly as you can, stay longer than you might otherwise. Take the time to show God’s love to everyone you encounter. 

Dear God,
Thank you for our family near and far. Thank you for the memories we have and the ones to be made. Keep us gathered in your arms and allow us to keep you in our hearts. Amen.

No comments: