Friday, January 24, 2014

The Music of My Life

There has been an item on my To-Do List for over two years now: put CDs onto computer and get rid of CDs. It was something I'd been putting off and I don't know why. I'd gotten rid of the VHS tapes without much ceremony. I'd been digitalizing photos and lots of paper, trying to go all digital. I'm not a hoarder but I do like to keep mementos and lets face it, my CDs are mementos. 
When Angela and I got the two giant black CD books out of the closet this weekend I wasn't sure what to expect. Before we moved we'd gotten rid of all the CD cases and put the covers and CDs in these cases. But I hadn't looked at the cases for some time. If I wanted a CD or a particular song, maybe. But for the most part? The music languished up there behind the boxes of Halloween and Christmas candles. 

So Saturday morning we flipped through the pages and immediately began reminiscing. The worship CD from the Christmas Youth Conference we attended when I was still in high school. My first ever CD: Whitney by Whitney Houston. My copy of the Rent soundtrack, the soundtrack I memorized long before I ever saw the show on a stage. The Jennifer Knapp Kansas CD that I listened to over and over when I first moved to Olivet. I remember lying on my egg carton bed, on my sleeping bag on the floor of the room I shared with Kelly and Tracy in Brewer House, learning every single word to that CD until I sang it in my sleep. The Alanis Morisette CD that I would end up singing as I drove the tractor at work that summer while I grated the camping ground roads (this was long before iPods and it's a good thing I was on that tractor all by my lonesome because I'd scream her songs so loud).
The Ellis Paul CD pictured above was from a concert I attended in Olivet. I still know all the words to all of his songs. When I put it in my car CD player this week I was amazed how I was immediately transported back to 2000 and that big old church where I closed my eyes and listened to Paul on his guitar. I'd forgotten about that night until I saw the signature above.

I listen to music almost daily. I can't usually drive without it. Rarely do I write or work without it. If I need quiet I turn to Yo Yo Ma or something similar. If I'm writing about Detroit it might be Eminem. If I'm feeling upset I might turn up Aerosmith or something from high school. If I'm in need of head space I'll put on John Mayer or Vonda Shepard and let the music I know so well wash over me without even noticing.

And this project had an added bonus I hadn't even thought about. So many of my CDs hadn't ever been transferred to my computer before now so I hadn't spent time listening to some of my favorites. I have every Garth Brooks CD and I'd forgotten how great he is. I'd forgotten that so many of my early CDs were birthday and Christmas gifts and how exciting it was to wait for a new album. I saw handwritten notes in several and I love that I cared so much about music at an early age. And that people around me nurtured that. It didn't matter if it was country, rock, rap, indie, my family bought me the music I wanted. And as a result, I love everything so much. I see the beauty in a metal song or a ballad. I see the sweetness in a Childish Gambino rap as much as I do a Celine Dion song.

Over 300 CDs. Almost two weeks worth of music. I've spent the week rediscovering old favorites and singing along, loudly. Music is everywhere. And now? All of it's on my phone in my pocket wherever I go. Amazing.


1 comment:

Puggleville said...

I felt the same emotional connection to my CDs pre-iTunes. But it was such a great feeling to purge the hard copies, and yet still be able to hold on to everything electronically. It's like when someone dies, although you aren't physically around them anymore, the memories remain…music is the same thing…what brings back memories is the music itself. :)