Tuesday, August 05, 2014

A pilot in development

On July 9 I had my first TV pitch meeting at a network. There was some discussion as to what would happen next but there wasn't a clear path and I decided to just be patient and wait. Something I don't always do well. But I did it. I went back to Detroit and I helped to plan a bridal shower and I showed off pictures of my Europe trip and I pushed the grandneighbors on the swings at the park. And then not a full week later I got a voicemail from one of my producing partners.

It seems the television network liked our pitch. Very much. I asked what this meant exactly. Were they buying the pilot? No. Not yet. We had some work to do first.

We had a very positive, very pleasant call with the network executives. They told us how excited they were by our project. How excited the film studio behind the television studio was by our project and our main character. How much they loved the story. And what they wanted to see happen with our show. And they gave us a very tight timeline in which to present to them an outline and a pilot script.

And so, we started working. I spent the next few days drafting an outline. Having conference calls and pouring over the Google doc with my producers. And then there was another conference call with the network. Interestingly, they're becoming old hat now. I mean, I've only had a handful of them but we have a rhythm. They tell us what they want to see in the next draft of something, we ask a few questions, and the meeting is done. Bing bam boom. Easy peasy. Well, for now anyway.

So after the big conference call with several execs I asked my producers what this all means. And officially, they said we have a pilot in development.

I love those words. I've heard them around town for years. They're vague and invite curiosity and questions. No one is really sure what they mean. You could be shooting a show in a month. You could be working on the same script in a year. But most of all? Those words contain in them so much hope. Hope that you're moving forward. Hope that you're on the right path. Hope that what's next might be big and exciting.

Hope.

It has been just three weeks since that first call with the network. Since then we've turned in two drafts of an outline and just this morning I got the email from the network that we're ready to go to script. That means next they want to see a full draft. In 10 days. So here we go...

It's been a crazy and exciting and terrifying and amazing couple of months. I've been to Europe and Detroit and done so much. It's really been just the best summer. And now? Now I get to spend the next month writing with hope. Working with hope. I'm just, beyond thrilled. Really. It's almost like I'm in shock. Just getting it done. Getting the words on the page, trying not to think too much about the what if and the how and the what. Just doing what I do best. Writing.

And being happy. When I got the news that we were in development I was able to share my excitement with my family and some of my very best friends back home in person. I love that. I love that they opened champagne and toasted with me. I love that we talked and talked and then went right back to making s'mores and chasing lightening bugs. Because that balance, that amazing balance, is what makes everything worthwhile.

4 comments:

Puggleville said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nicole Martin
How exciting is that!

Carol Reinig
WOW!!! Sure HOPE it keeps moving along smoothly for you, Sarah! Woo-hoooo!!!

Julie Holton Awesome!!!

Kerri L. Knapp
Great news Sarah!!!

Rae Marie Jacobsen-Sowell
Yay!!!!

Amanda Neyrinck Hopkins
I am so excited for you!! I have goosebumps

Jason Ferguson
Soooooooo excited for you.

Heather Olt
AMAZING news!!! Can't wait to hear more about it on our next coffee date!!!

Lisa Ferguson
Jumping up and down!!!!! We need more champagne!!!! You are so talented. So happy!

Katie Johnson
Wow wow! Thrilled for you!!!

Christin McFarland
Yaaaaaay!!! So many years of school and work are finally paying dividends. So very happy for you.

Bonnie Jacobs
YAY!!! You go girl!!

Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
How can you contain the thrill I'd like to get on a housetop and scream with excitement. Way to go girl!

Tammy Lopez Medlock
It was only a matter of time.

Janet Adams
Thrilled for you!

ItsDaniela Hook EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy for you

Beth E. Kuhn
Patience, persistence ,hard work, belief in yourself and God. You deserve this!!! so happy for you!!!!!

Kelly Austin
Congrats Sarah! So happy for you!!!

Paula Wortinger
Great news!! Excited for you and Jake wanted you to know he did a little acting at the barn theatre a few years back

Betsy Hunsley-Hunt
Big stuff here people… My friend is amazing! I'm sooooo proud of her for following her dreams!

Becky Martin
This is amazing! Sarah, if you write scripts as well as you write your blog, you'll have a winner script and pilot. Thanks, Betsy, for sharing Sarah's story!

Sarah Dempsey
congrats Sarah Knapp!

Tom Knapp
Dreams do come true

Anonymous said...

The Wibberleys
Gah! So exciting!

Laura Lehman
Congrats! That's fantastic!! Continue to keep us posted so I can tune in!

Bonnie Jacobs
Awesome!!! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Chris Tidball Niblock
Aug 5th, 8:38am
Congratulations! That's great news! Now, you get to do what you do best.......write! Good idea just to keep focused on that and not all of the other questions. You've got this! Keep us posted!