Thursday, August 14, 2014

Draft one and done!

We beat our deadline by one day. It feels good too. To have a draft done. To have a script to work with.

Yes, I finished my first draft of the new pilot and we turned it into the television studio this morning. I finished the draft on Monday. And then I had some of my peeps read it and tell me where I misspelled things and what really didn't make sense. And then last night I met with my producers for about three hours and we did the unbearable: we cut the script by five pages. FIVE PAGES. That's a whole act in sitcom land! But we did it. And?

It wasn't horrible. It wasn't unbearable at all. In fact it was exciting and fun and every cut we made made perfect sense. And I love this newest, cleanest, leanest version more than anything!

And best of all?

It's not the end.

Yes, I typed END OF SHOW at the end of the script. Yes, I registered my script with the Writers Guild. Yes, we turned it into the network executives. But we get to do that again a few more times before decisions are made. And that's exciting. Very exciting.

So what's next? Well, we wait. Again. There's a lot of that. And that's okay. Because I have papers to grade and notes to organize and a house to clean in preparation of the first big birthday celebration tomorrow night! I have a cake to make (or at least procure), I have other writing to do and I have some books piling up beside the bed. So we just wait. That's all. But again, with hope.

P.S. - My friend Carol Reinig made this for me and posted it on Facebook. Too fun!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa Ferguson
Where's the champagne!

Ratandeep Suri
Where is the celebration!!!?? congrats!!