Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My heart. Broken again.

This morning I laced up my shoes in the dark and headed off for a shortened, early version of my daily walk. About three-quarters of the way through I noticed a woman up ahead, a hoodie wrapped around her, two dogs on leashes. I didn't catch up to her until the stoplight and when I did, I noticed the ensignia on her sweatshirt: the Revlon Walk for Women, the cancer walk that Angela and I have participated in several times over the last few years.

I thought about her sweatshirt as I pounded the pavement for several more blocks. And when we ended up at a stoplight a while later, and then crossed, I found myself waiting for her and her pups. I took off my earbuds and turned around.

"I just saw your sweatshirt and I wanted to say thank you, " I said.
"Oh, yeah, I walk for my grandma," she smiled back.
"My sister and I walked for our mom's best friend. She died yesterday of colon cancer and just seeing that on your shirt, it made me smile," I said.

She gave me her condolences and I hurried off, not wanting to burden her with my tears. I kept my earbuds out the rest of the way home, focused primarily on seeing my way through the tears.

Yesterday the world changed.

Marilyn. Mom #2. My mother's best friend. My touchstone. My heart. Broken again.

Right now there aren't too many words. Only tears. There aren't too many thoughts. Only tears. I'm sure I'll come up with some later. I'm sure I'll look at the photographs scattered around the house and recall the grand stories behind them. But not today. Today I mourn. Today I sit in stunned silence. Not really feeling fully what has transpired. Shock.

She fought. So long and so hard and with everything she could. She fought. We all saw it, even when she didn't want us too. We all knew the end would eventually come and while we're glad it wasn't five years ago like the doctors said it would be, we still all know it came too soon.

Dear Mom #2,

I love you. I still have a bunch of Hallmark cards to send to you. It's not fair. But then again, as you often said, that's tough shit.

I will always love you,

Sarah
Mom#2, Mom#1 & Me - Christmas 2013







5 comments:

Pat said...

I am so sorry for you and your family Sarah. Heartache seems to want to take home in our hearts, but we hold on to the great hope of reuniting one day in heaven.

Unknown said...

Sara, we lost a wonderful person, best friend and 2nd mom, but God has gained a beautiful angel. She did fight long and hard, only to know what was to come, but I am so grateful to have had the extra time that was allowed. And now that she is gone it is "tough shit" for the rest of us. Gail

Sarah-Jane said...

Sarah - My heart mourns your loss. This has NOT been a happy year for your family and I can only pray the sickness and sadness will leave you alone for awhile! I don't have any fond memories of Marilyn, but I do remember her always smiling, willing to share a hug and ALWAYS quick with a smart comment that made everyone laugh. She is with the angels now making THEM all laugh and watching over you, Ang and her own kids.

Puggleville said...

:(

Anonymous said...

Renee Bartlett
Oh so very sorry for your loss...may God wrap his loving arms around all of you at this time...prayers and condolences to all of you...

Becky Trepasso
I'm so sorry.....

Jason Ferguson
Sorry to hear

Judy Richardson Hanner
Great picture of all three of you:)

Charlie Karayan
Sorry to hear this Sarah.

Daniel Alexander
Hugs, friend. So sorry.

Devon Gholam
Sarah and Angela I am so sorry to hear this on so many levels. My heart is with you.

Adina Huda
Big hugs to you. So sorry.

Debi Bailey Boutell
No words.

Patti Van Loo
Well said, Sarah. My love, hugs to you and Angela.

Dorothy Copado Hatch
I'm so sorry for your lose. Your words were a beautiful tribute.

ItsDaniela Hook
so sorry sending love hugs and prayers

Janet Adams
I know how you feel, numb. Hugs for both you and Angela. Love you both!

Bill Galetka :-(

Moni Wood
I'm so sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers for you and your whole family.

Karen Baumkratz Parker
Sorry for your loss, Sarah. Your blog was a shot through the heart, but it perfectly encapsulates the initial shock of losing a loved one.

Heidi Dirksen Darrah
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you all.

Julie Toothman Phelps
Sarah, my heart goes out to your family. Hugs!

Rae Marie Jacobsen-Sowell
God rest her weary soul.

Laura Bachmann Edgington
So sorry for your loss. Thinking about all of you! Sending prayers.

Robyn Carr ♡

Marilyn Maier Chaperon
Hugs to you and your sister. When you lose someone, it is so hard

Doris Bancroft
Beautiful thoughts. Never EVER stop writing Sarah - you have a gift. The emotions your bring to life ring true for so many. BTW - I've just made a spectacle of myself in the airport lounge ...tears running down my face.

Leslie Todd
So sorry Sarah. Prayers for you and your family.

Valeri Kim Cousins-Shaffer So sorry:'(♡

Laura Lehman
I'm so sorry that you've lost someone who meant so much to you. I didn't know her well myself but I know she meant a lot to many many people.

Bonnie Jacobs
Sorry for your loss. Big big hugs & lots of prayers.

Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg
With all your losses this past year, I can only think that God chose one very special family to guide them on their way back to Him