Friday, December 15, 2017

Advent Devotion #1

Every year Hollywood United Methodist Church asks us members to write advent devotions. Here's today's, the first of two I wrote this year: 

Isaiah 12:2-6

“Yes, indeed – God is my salvation. I trust, I won’t be afraid.”

Hmmm…I won’t be afraid. And yet? I’m terrified. Will there be enough money for rent? Will I sell my next project? Will my family member recover from this bout of illness? Will we stop global warming in time? Will we save health care for me and everyone I care about? Will I make a difference? Does it even matter?

I’m terrified. So much of the time. And yet?

“Give thanks to God. Call out his name. Ask him anything!”

Anything? Really??

I take comfort in that. In the notion that as the scripture says, as I ask, I should “joyfully pull up buckets of water from the wells of salvation”.

It’s hard not to be afraid. And yet? This time of year, this season, makes it a little easier not to be. Yes, the cookies and the carols and the festive colors and decorations help. But knowing that “the Lord God is my strength and might” is really what does it. Knowing the story of that little baby lying in a manager and how He will save us all. That helps. That gives me the ability to lay my head down at night, to close my eyes, to whisper my fears and my hopes into the darkness, and to believe that God will take care of it all.

Because He promised. Over and over. Day after day. He promises still. He is mighty. He has done wonderful things and He will continue to do wonderful things.


I won’t be afraid. Not this season. Not when I have the promise of that little baby in my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary Anne Kennedy Lyberg Beautifully relevant. P
Linda Peckens What you said Mary Anne