Thursday, December 14, 2017

I have a bit of an announcement...

July 2017
Nine years ago I was sitting in a classroom at UCLA listening to my classmates read my pages for the week. I was almost done with my first semester of film school. I had just finished the first draft of my screenplay Love and Embalming Fluid. I remember being excited. And so nervous I might throw up. And hanging on to each laugh my words elicited as if it was the breath I needed to make it through one more second on this earth.

Yes, Love and Embalming Fluid is full of comedy. Yes, it's about death. But more so? It's about life.

And then my life moved on. Fast forward nine years. Nine long years. Nine years is graduating from UCLA, taking classes at UCLA extension, taking workshops everywhere in Los Angeles. Nine years is so many Hollywood mixers and networking events. So many versions of business cards and Facebook pages and trying to force relationships that might be mutually beneficial. Nine years is seventeen screenplays and pilots. SEVENTEEN.

And then I met Ayelette Robinson (of The Couch fame). I met her on a Women in Film Facebook page and we connected on FaceTime at first. Fast forward a year and we've made a web series the world will watch soon. So let's make that eighteen scripts now.

And then this July she asked me if I had any screenplays laying around. As a writer, the one thing I learned early on is if this question was ever raised by anyone, was to say yes. And so, I said yes. I said yes, in fact, I have this one screenplay I think might be perfect for you. It's called Love and Embalming Fluid. 

Fast forward just six months. Only six months. But six months of meetings and contract negotiations and writing. Oh so much writing. See, a screenplay that was written nine years ago might need a little polish. A little updating.

Just a little.

Just a lot.

Long hours at the desk. Longer hours with a pen. Long conversations with my writing peeps who read draft after draft (and who know their work is still far from done, there are still more drafts coming).

But I discovered something so cool when I opened up the file for this particular screenplay. This screenplay that's story had begged to be told in these last nine years. I've written this story into a pilot. Then into a short film. And now? Now we're back to a feature film. And that cool thing? Well, I'm a much different writer than I was nine years ago. Frankly, a much better writer. And thank god, right? If that wasn't true, we've all been wasting our time. So...I set about rewriting.

And I'm still rewriting. But why?

Well, because Ayelette and her production company are MAKING MY MOVIE.

Yep. I really have a hard time grasping the reality at times too.

And that's not all. It's not enough that my words are going to come to life on the big screen. It's not enough that someone connected with the story in such a way that she wants to spend her energy, her time and her money telling it. It's not enough that I get to rewrite it and tell exactly the story I want to tell (because, let's be honest, that doesn't always happen to screenwriters).

I'm also directing the film.

Yep.

I'M GOING TO DIRECT MY MOVIE.

I just...I can't...honestly, it's hard to figure out the best words in this situation. See, I've always, since day one, known this story inside and out. I've known the world of Love and Embalming Fluid because it's my world. I created the characters. I created everything about the world they inhabit. I know what the rooms look like they walk into. I know what kind of clothing they have on when they get in that fight they'll never forget. I know when exactly the tears start to fall and the smile sets in. I know these things.

No one else does.

But they will. Soon.

Because I'm going to show them. Ayelette and I are going to show them.

And I'm so freaking excited about this. And to share it with everyone who's been my cheerleader and support system and friend and confidant and held me up and kept me going these past nine years. Because it has been a marathon, not a sprint. And we've only just begun.

So that's the announcement. By this time next year we're hoping to have finished filming. (Don't take that to the bank, we're making an indie film -- this is going to be a LONG road. But we've started down it and we can already see the end! And it's amazing! And we're talking to amazing people and it's just all so...amazing!)

I'm now a writer-director. I've taken my first workshop at Film Independent. This past Monday night I spent three hours learning about cinematography, just enough to get me started learning what I need to know for my job. And it was fascinating, and fun. And I'm so excited by that. By how fun this all has been. Even the long days at my desk. Even now, when I'm still working on some huge character arcs and tweaking dialogue for a potential actor, it's all fun. Because I know how truly lucky I am to get to do something like this. (Did you think I was gonna let this slide...)

Because today, in 2017, only 7% of directors are women. SEVEN PERCENT. And only 13% of writers are women. THIRTEEN PERCENT. And only 20% of producers are women. TWENTY PERCENT.

So here's the thing. We're gonna change that, Ayelette and I. We're going to add to those numbers. And all the other numbers that are way too low in this industry, in this town, in this world. We're gonna be the change we want to see. Which I love. So much.

But most of all? I get to tell this story. And I'm so excited about how I get to do it. And I'm excited for you all to come on this journey with me.

So here's to EVERYTHING that 2018 is going to bring!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see it!! Congratulations!

Benjamin said...

Super excited for you. It's truly awesome!!!!Congratulations!

Melissa said...

So completely, truly and utterly happy for you, Sarah!! I had no doubt this was going to happen FOR YOU.

Barb said...

I am SO happy for you. Well deserved!

ellen said...

So excited for you....it’s been a long road since kindergarten!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and enjoy every moment of the process! Comedy is supposed to be the most difficult genre, so kudos.

Bonnie White said...

so proud of you, so glad to see your hard work and patience and faith finally panning out...You go girl...hugs and congratulations.....

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah! I'm ecstatic! I want to hear more. I want to get regular updates on your progress. You are the ultimate professional now.

Blessings,
Barbara

ps - Would you like to consider writing a screenplay for my second novel? It might make a decent movie too. Or--maybe my first novel. I trust you remember that one.

D L. Walker said...

That's Amazing!

Tammy Mergener said...

Wonderful! Congratulations Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Michelle Buchanan reposted -- Best wishes and a HUGE congratulations to my college roommate, Sarah Knapp. So proud of you!
Tracy Porter Vagner That is awesome!! Congratulations to your friend! Can’t wait to see Love and Embalming Fluid. If the title is any indication, I’m already hooked!!
Sarah Knapp Thank you!!! ❤️

Anonymous said...

Barbara Ramm - This is my friend Sarah Knapp and she's making a movie! I'm freaking over the moon for you, Sarah! This is an incredibly difficult thing for those who may not know!. Wrote the script, sold the script and directing the movie! I love my creative female friends because they are fearless, For all those writers who wonder if it's worth it, keep writing! PS...her blog is a great read!
Leslye Winkelman Lyons So cool!
Mic Almanza That's awesome Sarah! Go you!
Patty Claycomb Barber Well deserved smile! Congratulations Sarah!
Debi Bailey Boutell Most wonderful!!
Sara DelaHaya Amazing!!! Congrats Sarah!
Sarah Knapp <3 Thank you, Barbara! Thank you all!!!
Shawna Wesley-Roza Congratulations, Sarah! That's AWESOME!!!!
Carole Cooper You rock. Absolutely rock.

Anonymous said...

Heather Gruenwald - I am so excited for Sarah Knapp!!!!!!!!
Amanda Bergren Daughters!!!!!🙌🏼💪🏼💪🏼congratulations!
Thea Hamman Yes!! Go, Sarah, go!
Sarah Knapp Thank you!!! <3

Anonymous said...

Andrea Just - Way to go Sarah Knapp! Bless you for your persistence, patience & your excellent writing skills that draw us in to your perspectives on life! We have laughed & cried with you while reading your blogs. 💗💗
Caryn Morse Congratulations!! So proud of you...
Kathie Edmonds Sell Wow - that is amazing! Good for Sarah Knapp!
Judith DeGraw Congratulations, Sarah!
Jennifer Grady Congratulations Sarah!!!!!!
Nancy Kimmel Porter Congratulations!
Fabulous story...
Sarah Knapp Thank you Andrea!!!