Sunday, November 29, 2020

The season of Advent is upon us...

Today is the first day of Advent and I wrote the devotion for Hollywood United Methodist Church to start the season.  


Isaiah 40:28-31

“Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless. Even youths will faint and be weary, and the young will fall exhausted; but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”

When I opened up my email to see which scripture I’d been assigned for this year’s advent devotion, I read my verses and thought, yeah, that’s about right. That’s so 2020. That’s exactly what I’m feeling…

 

I have grown weary and I feel powerless, I am exhausted and I sometimes have a hard time understanding what’s happening and more so, why it’s happening. It’s been a year full of sickness and strife and so much pain. So. Much. Pain. 

 

I am heartbroken for so many, for our world. I am sad all the time. I am angry all the time. I am fragile and jaded all at once. And yet…

 

This passage from Isaiah reminds me that there is help. It reminds me that even though this year has been one like no other I’ve experienced; God is in control. He will renew me when I cannot renew myself. He will help me to stand tall and confident and He will shore up my reserves. And I need that. Every. Single. Day.

 

This advent season will be so different from any we’ve ever experienced. We will not gather in person to worship or celebrate. We will not gather in person to exchange gifts and eat cookies. We will not carol with friends. We will not shop in malls. We will not eat and drink and be merry in public or with anyone who doesn’t live in our house. We will celebrate differently but we will still celebrate. 

 

For the Lord will renew us regardless of what the world throws at us. And we will mount up with wings like eagles. We will hunker down and be thankful for what we have and that we are healthy and able to stay at home when we can. We will run and not be weary. We will wear masks and smile with our eyes, spreading the news of Jesus’ birth online and via the postal service. We will walk and not faint. We will be hopeful for what tomorrow will bring, knowing God will protect us, that He will save us. He’s got us. 

 

Advent is about waiting and preparing. We do that as we get ready for the baby Jesus’ birth. We do that too as we get ready for life after the pandemic. We put our faith and trust in Him. We believe in Him. We love Him. Because no matter how tired and powerless we feel, He loves us, He strengthens us. Every. Single. Day. 

 

Prayer – God, please hold our communities close. Please be with every person who is doing their part to make this world safer, healthier, happier, better. Please strengthen all of us. You are amazing, God. And we remember that, even in the darkest of days. Amen. 

  

1 comment:

Beth said...

My favorite scripture. Thank you for a thoughtful, meaningful devotion❣️