Monday, March 16, 2009

Odds are

UPDATE:
Yeah, things could apparently get worse. Last night I was standing in the entry way between the living room and the dining room and saw something on the wall. I went to wipe it off and stopped. It was wiggling. So I got a napkin and wiped it off. All I got was the head. I had to pull the rest of it out - legs and all, out of a nail sized hole in the wall. I AM SO NOT JOKING.

We looked it up online and it appears to be some sort of burrowing termite. STILL NOT JOKING. It was fine, whatever, until a few minutes later I leaned against the wall and freaked out. Not just scared myself but had one of those moments where you completely lose yourself and have no control over your response to the situation. This never happens to me. Seriously. I am always in control. ALWAYS. But I started crying and shaking and I think it was just the last straw. The final bug. The THING that broke me.

I'm fine now but I just wanted everyone to know what happened in case I end up in the looney bin.

Things have to turn around, right? I mean it just seems as if lately it's bad news on top of bad news, one thing after another. And not just in the world but in my house.

We get rid of the ants, we find black widow spiders out back, oh and flies hatched. In our house. And they won't leave. We get the gates fixed, the washing machine starts throwing up. We move two steps forward with the landlord, two steps back. I don't know.

Angela got her pink slip Friday. We were so hopeful it wouldn't come. We had people praying in all different time zones. We were hopeful. We rationalized. We talked to people. But it still came. And as I signed for it I realized that while I firmly believe in my heart that everything happens for a reason, I hardly ever understand.

Oh and then Ang's phone got lost and then stolen Saturday. Yes. Things have to get better, right?

But there is a bright side. I've been walking for 10 days now - just 30 minutes but I've gotten my route down a little and I am going to start expanding on it this week. I can't do much more than that but I feel like it's something. It's about all my brain can wrap itself around right now and while I would love to do more, for right now, it's something. And I just finished my second quarter at UCLA and my screenplay is going so well. I'm on the fourth draft and it'll be finished by March 30th in time to turn in to the school. And I have a good chance at an internship with a production company, I had a phone interview this morning and am going to write some coverage (what the movie's about, what I thought, etc.) and turn it in and see how that goes.

Other than that life has been work (don't get me started - I got a bad review last week for making ONE mistake. ONE TINY MISTAKE. And yeah, I'm not happy) and school and writing and surviving. One day at a time. It's about all we can handle.

But odds are things have to get better, right? I mean, they have to. I firmly believe that. I do. I really really do.

4 comments:

brickmomma said...

OH LOVE----

Wish I could be there to hug you and eat ice cream with you and walk your path. 30 mins a day is waaaayyyy more than many people tackle. I am so proud of you and will continue to pray for the turning of the tide....

Writer Monkey said...

Things do get better. Just keep praying. Last year I lost my mother and father-in-law, my sister-in-law, and my sister's mother-in-law. And that is not even the half of what happened last year. Everything that could go wrong last year did. However, things did get better. With a whole lot of prayer and some understanding that God does things in His time and not ours. I will pray for you, even though we have never and probably never meet. God Bless.

Sarah Knapp said...

Thank you - both of you!

Anonymous said...

Things will get better. But it's all right to freak out and scream. Especially over creepy crawlies.