Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A life changing event

I, like many women I know, spend a lot of money on magazines. I read Oprah, I read Self, I read Weight Watchers. And those are just the "self-help" ones! But it's finally paid off. After years of clipping recipes to put in a binder and rarely look at again, tearing out pages of exercises I'll probably do once and forget about, I found a piece of advice that has changed my life! And I want to share it with all of you...

Last week I was reading in Self about time-savers. I came across one that said to floss while you shower. I thought about this. Really? Could that work? It seems a little weird, right? Flossing your teeth in the shower. Hmmm.....

So I tried it out.

And guess what? I LOVE IT. IT'S CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

I now keep the floss in the shower, right next to the razor. It's a plastic box so it's fine. And as I stand there in the morning (or at night or whenever) letting the hot water envelope me, I floss. Yep. It's that simple. No muss, no fuss.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with flossing. I know it's something everyone needs to do on a daily basis. I know that. My mom taught me that. My dentist tells me that. I read about it. It's common sense. I know it. But do I do it? Not always. Come on, admit it, you don't either!

It's not that I don't want to, I really do. There was a year there in college when my New Years' resolution was to floss daily. And guess what? I did. Every single day for a year. And then I gave up. I'm the type of person where if I miss one day of something I can very easily quit. But not now.

Now I have an excuse to stand under the hot water that I so love for a few extra minutes. I have reason for being in there. And my teeth are healthier! Is this not the greatest thing in the world? Seriously. I am not joking. I love flossing my teeth in the shower. So much so that the other day, when I was having a good hair day and decided to forgo showering (oh come on! You do this sometimes too! I know it!) I thought to myself but now I'll miss flossing. Yep, true story. And guess what, I don't think I flossed that day. I don't understand either.

So my daily upkeep has been changed, for the better, finally, by reading one of those many magazines I subscribe to or buy at the checkout counter. And I imagine it only cost in the realm of $3597.85. Well worth it I know!

2 comments:

mommaof3 said...

i am cracking up. and i hate flossing. i do it maybe, maybe 6 times a year. but i started brushing my teeth in the shower a year or so ago. now i will try flossing! you may have changed my life as well! who knew???

Anonymous said...

Problem 1) I need a mirror to floss.

Problem 2) The rest of the family won't thank me for emptying the hot water cylinder while showering that long. (I know, we are dinosaurs in the UK.)