Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I got fed

Today I went to Homeless Lunch at church, I haven't been since March maybe, it's been a while, and it had been on my mind lately. But there had been work and my internship and appointments and just life. I'd been dropping off supplies but I knew it wasn't enough. So today I left the work behind and headed on over. And I'm so glad I did.

It was hectic today -- there were about 10 extra volunteers, youth group kids and their 2 leaders in town on a mission trip, and lots of regular volunteers. There was a line part way down the block of people waiting for lunches, and all the usual business involved in getting ready to serve 100+ people. And I had reservations, I thought I might just sneak out because there was help but for some reason I stayed. I quickly found out why.

First off I talked to Michael, one of our regular guests. He told me he was glad to see me, that I'd been away a while. As he tried on shoes and pulled the laces out (he has a thing about laces) he asked if I went to church there. I told him I did, and so did most of the other volunteers. He told me about going to church in Pasadena once, and never going back, because people looked at him weird because he had a backpack. I told him no one would even notice here, we'd love to have him come to worship. We talked for a few more minutes and he said maybe and left. I called out that he could sit by me if he came on Sunday. Yep, God had a plan.

For the rest of the two hours I got constant "welcome backs", "hi sweeties", "good to see you Sarahs", etc. I got hugs and handshakes and lots and lots of thank yous. I got a hug from the youth group leader who I met an hour before. I got called gorgeous and intelligent and told I have a beautiful smile (yes, external validation can do a lot for the soul, I won't lie). Simply put, I got fed.

And as I watched the youth group kids helping out I realized what a mission trip always taught me, always reminded me: that whenever I go to serve, I am served. Whenever I go to feed others, I am fed. Whenever I love, I am loved.

Today was a good day. God is good. All the time.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Good to see you there again! And I'm glad you got to talk to Michael; he's a sweetheart and I'm so happy he's coming on Sunday.

mommaof3 said...

I am glad you stayed. And that you took the time to document this experience.

I love you so!

Writer Monkey said...

That is so true. Glad your day was blessed.

Anonymous said...

You are so special. I hope to go with you on my next trip. You teach me all the time love mom

Anonymous said...

31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Keep up the good work, Sarah.

-Justin

Never Settle said...

We are all called to serve, yet so few answer that call. This post is a wonderful reminder of how we are blessed every time we give of our time and energy to bless others.