Saturday, June 13, 2009

Top 10 Reasons Why Disney is the Happiest Place on Earth

10. For the entire duration of your stay at Disneyland (or Disneyworld) you get to think only about Disney. Just what's next. What ice cream treat to buy. What ride has the shortest Fast Pass line. What route around the park will get you to the parade the quickest (or away from the parade as in our case). You enter a sort of Disney-survival mode wherein you only think about what's happening at that very moment. E-mails and life issues and everything else falls by the wayside.

9. The Tiki Room reminds you what life was like before computers and the craziness of modern technology. As I sat back and sang along with the birds, I thought for a bit about how glad I was to see all the kids there enjoying this. Experiencing it. Not on a screen or in their living room but outside in the real (Disneyfied of course) world, wearing sunscreen and fanny packs and eating apple slices out of Ziplocs and reading maps!

8. The customer service. We ate in sit-down restaurants for each meal (trying to get heatlhier fare) and we had excellent service. Also, people at the gates were wonderful and on all the rides. Really, Disney knows how to treat its' guests right. And I love that we're called guests!

7. The rides are interesting and a little exciting without being terrifying. There are twists and turns and your blood pressure goes up a little but nothing extreme (never was a huge fan of Cedar Point, I know, being from Michigan and all that's heresy...). Indiana Jones was fun, and so was Star Wars even though I've never seen the film. And it's all about the experience at Disney. You don't have to know about the movie, they tell you. In fact, I really enjoyed just walking through the Castle, reading about Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) on the storybook pages. There wasn't a ride, just stairs but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

6. I think the photography system at Disney is genius. We've done it each time we've been to the parks but they've modernized it now with a website and keycard. How many vacations do you go on where your whole family isn't in the picture because someone has to be taking it??? Not true at Disney. In just one day we got 15 pics of the 4 of us. We ended up choosing only 1 to purchase but we have the option to order more or none at all, and we can even email them to friends and family for free. Free souvenirs (albeit virtual)?!?!? Cool.

5. Waiting time. I didn't even mind the longish lines when we happened upon them. I left my cell phone at home and just watched people, talked to my family, and observed. To simply be in the moment, that made me happy.

4. Mickey mouse-shaped ice cream dipped in Dove chocolate.

3. Giant boquets of colorful balloons and cotton candy sprinkled down Main Street.

2. Napping in the air conditioned darkened theater in the afternoon during the Muppets 3-D movie. I enjoyed the movie and I've seen it before and I liked shutting my eyes for 5 minutes.

1. How can you not smile when you see a little kid run up to a princess or Mr. Incredible and do a high-five or give them a tiny hug? I mean really. That's worth the price of admission right there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love everything, but especially #4!!!

Debi

Betsy Hunsley said...

When we were there, Tyler said...let's go into the the tower of terror. I said ok, thinking oh what could that be?

let's just say I held on to his thigh and almost grabbed the guy's next to me thigh because I swear my rear end was 3 feet off the seat when we went "down" in the hotel.

I hope you didn't go on that one.... :)

mommaof3 said...

Very sweet list!

Love you-

Anonymous said...

I have to go with Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream as number one reason. Like kids, but ice cream taste better.

Writer Monkey said...

We did Disney World earlier in the year and it was GREAT! Fort Wilderness was the perfect place to stay with little ones. If you head to Orlando anytime soon, I recommed the Ohana Breakfast with the characters at the Polynesian. The kids loved the food and the characters come to your table for pics and hugs.