Sunday, January 09, 2011

Branding myself

Today in my writers' group we talked about our brands. Who were are as writers, how our writing portfolios can best represent that and what we want to put out into the Hollywood system. One writer decided she was the Southern writer, another concluded she was the serialized writer, yet another landed on the youth writer. But then there was me. When it came around to my turn to talk I quoted a line from one of my favorite movies...
"I don't know what kind of girl I am." -- Juno
I started out writing stories. Stories without defined plots, without known endings. Then I wrote a romantic comedy. Someone told me I should turn it into a thriller but I'm not really a thriller kind of girl. Then I wrote a sweet little indie-type movie and people weren't sure which box to put it into. Not big enough they said. But not small enough either. Then I wrote a loud, brash, funny R-rated comedy. And someone put a movie into production with the exact same title. The title that sells the thing. So I turned to TV. My first love really.

I started out writing dramas. I didn't think I was really funny. I like to get the joke, the laugh, the smile but I never considered myself a comedienne. Then I took a sitcom writing class. And I liked it. I really did. So I wrote another comedy. But there was a drama brewing in my brain. I wrote a novel, a really long, involved, complicated novel that's not funny at all. It's truthful and messy and makes people cry. Which is really cool for a writer. But I still like the funny.

So I wrote some more comedy. And some more drama. And I like them all. I love all my children unconditionally (well, maybe not that first-born, I'm really really scared to go back and read it, I love the images I have of it and maybe that's all I need to love). But I don't know my brand.

I'm a writer. I love blogging. I like writing about current events and Bible stories. I like news reporting and writing research papers. Sandra Bullock is a great comedic actress. Then she went and won an Oscar for a very serious role. It wasn't her first. She gets to do both. Why can't I? (Yes, I know, I'm no Sandy B.)

But back to my brand...I'm working on it. It would be a lot easier if I was the slasher-flick girl. I have a film school friend who writes horror movies. He's good at it and they're funny and really slashery. He is his brand, he didn't have to search for it and make a decision, check a little box. He's lucky. But then again, maybe I am too.

I've never taken the easy road. I've never been one to follow conventions and do what everyone else does. And it's lead me down a pretty interesting path. I have fabulous people in my life. I've done some very cool things. And I make up my own rules. I design my own way. Here's hoping that someone, something, will allow me to continue to do that as a writer...

1 comment:

Puggleville said...

In my two-cent opinion, writers (or artists/musicians in general) shouldn't have a "brand". It turns them into a stereotype, a flat one-dimensional image. As much as I love Amy Tan's books, she only writes about a very specific, predictable niche. I think you grow more when you experiment with different mediums...it's just as important to break out of your comfort zone as to refine your expertise in a speciality(s).