Thursday, January 27, 2011

Screaming on the inside

In December a friend introduced me (via email) to a literary manager she'd met. He said he focused primarily on television comedies so I sent him three scripts last Monday. Today he emailed to say he was impressed. I called him and we set up a meeting for next Tuesday.

Yes, it took me an hour to calm down before I called him. It was exciting. It's my first introduction to the real business side of television writing. I've been operating in a vacuum up until now. I've been surrounded by friends and writing peers, teachers and people who love me too much to give me any criticism at all. But now, now I'm jumping into the lake (or the shark-infested ocean) without a life preserver (wearing raw meat). I'm putting myself out there. And I'm screaming inside.

Yes I know it's my first meeting. Yes I know I'll have more meetings and this may amount to nothing. Yes I have a long way to go. But this is a start. This is the beginning. And it's freaking exciting. I'm going to revel in that for a day or two. Before I start obsessing about what to wear:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did the astronaut say? One small step - one large step..... This is the first of those! Yippe and Yahoo! You MUST post as soon as you know something - we're all cheering for you. D

Writer Monkey said...

Yay!!! So happy for you! Your persistence is finally paying off. Praying big that all goes well for you.