Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Brandon

This is Brandon. He's one of the first people I met when I moved to Los Angeles. We met at the Tuesday Homeless Lunch I went to every week. And more often than not, I found him joking around, smiling and talking nonstop, especially to his friend Pauley (that's her and him in the picture below).

Over the last couple of years I'd run into Brandon on Tuesdays, on Sundays when I was in Hollywood, and at other random times. I remember going to a dinner party at an Italian restaurant one night and hearing from several friends that Brandon was there. He came in, had a drink, and was on his way. He was just always there. And he was always talking about how he was getting things together, figuring things out.

This weekend I found out through Pauley that Brandon was hit by a car and killed. I cried. And then when Pauley talked about him in church Sunday, I cried again. He was a sweet guy, always ready for a smile. And now he's gone.

But he won't be forgotten. Not by me, not by anyone who came into contact with him at Tuesday Lunch or anywhere in Hollywood. And to honor his memory, I'm going to pull out a few more t-shirts from my drawer and pick up extra socks at Target and throw some crackers in my basket at the grocery store to donate. It's such a little thing I can do, something I do regularly, but something that now, will mean so much more.

It's the Christmas season. It's a season of love and joy and happiness and peace. For many of us. But for so many more it's a season of cold nights (whether you live in Los Angeles or Detroit) and long days and wondering how you'll make it until your next meal or if you'll get a shower soon, if ever. So this Christmas season, think of Brandon as you eat too much turkey or buy those last minute gifts. Think of Brandon as you sing the carols and eat another piece of candy. Think of Brandon as you snuggle in at night and paw through the closet full of clothes you own to find just the right outfit. Think of Brandon and think about what you can do to make this season a little merrier for everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I'm sending you a big hug, I'm so sorry, he was a nice guy. Thanks for expressing your thoughts. Love and Hugs
Mom

Puggleville said...

For years, I've been trying to convince my family to stop exchanging gifts among the adults and donate money to charity instead. For the past few years, we've at least cut back to have one adult give one present to one adult and draw names. I'm re-proposing this year to donate the money again, and we'll see how many votes I can get. I totally agree with you, that *THAT* is what Christmas is about, not giving gifts to people that don't really need them.

Adina said...

Thank you for writing about Brandon. Once in a while we meet people who touch our hearts and then leave suddenly. They remind us of what's important, but we tend to forget. So thank you again for writing this piece and reminding me again of what's important. Take care, Adina

Elizabeth said...

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend, to both you and Pauly.
Giving from the heart is what it's all about and it should be every day not just holidays. Giving of one's time to spend with friends and those in need. I would rather help in a soup kitchen or something on the holidays than to get a gift.
Giving should be year round anyway -time, love, service....
Peace, Love and Light.

Christine Dix said...

I would have been homeless on two occasions if it wasn't for people who cared. Mental illness has kept me from (As of yet) attaining fame as an artist. I don't have much now, but I give whenever I can.
I'm so sorry for you and your community's loss. I'm glad that he will be remembered with such fondness.

rabbit said...

This is a lovely tribute to a lovely man. I never met him, but there are people in every town who are only appreciated by a few, all too readily ignored by most. Each of them makes a difference. I'm so pleased you and Pauley have clebrated and commemorated his life. I'm sure Brandon would be happy and honoured to hear your loving words.

Margaret said...

Knowing that someone has died so tragically especially during the holidays brings everything into perspective. Be thankful for what you have and the time with love ones and be giving. It hurts my heart that someone who went through Hell still smiled til the end...now that is a real soul.

Mary Brown said...

Every time I read this story or similar stories I can't help but cry and feel so worthless. I want to be able to help others with all my heart but right now it is all I can do to help myself. I'm still recovering from an abusive relationship that left me fearful and insecure. I'm back home living with my family and that is a place full of hardship as well. But as bad as we have it or as bad as I may feel it is we still have it better than so many others. But I can still do a little and I can still pray that it'll get better not for me but for those in more serious need than me.

Anonymous said...

he look like a great guy and will be miss by lots i work with homeless for many year and come across people like him this Christmas eve morning i with some help people given up there time will be help out serve 45 breakfast and Christmas gifts to the homeless and if there cant find warm to stay try we will try help them it call the well homeless project in Blackpool uk run by my mum and dad showing god love

Writer Monkey said...

Just catching up on your blog and saw this. I am so very sorry for your loss. Praying for you and those who knew Brandon. :'(