Sunday, November 27, 2011

The first Sunday of Advent


The advent devotion I wrote for today that appears in the Howell First United Methodist devotional booklet: 

“There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God’s angel stood among them and God’s glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David’s town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you’re to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger.” (from Luke 2, The Message)

One of the parts of this story that has always struck me is the fact that the angel went to the sheepherders first. And in this passage alone the sheep get several more mentions. These animals seem to be such an important part of the Christmas story. In fact, they and the other stable animals are an integral part of each retelling of Jesus’ birth.

I have this little nativity set that’s porcelain, that I’ve had since I was maybe five years old, and it’s still my favorite. It’s four simple pieces: Mary, Joseph, the baby Jesus, and a lamb. No sheepherders, no wise men, not even the nativity-staple barn, just mom, dad, baby and a lamb.

I always envision that little lamb watching over the family, making sure the baby Jesus is warm and safe and smiling, even offering his warm fur if the need should arise. As a child I thought this was his only purpose in the nativity scene. But today, as an adult, I see it’s much more than that. Jesus is referred to in the Bible as the Lamb of God and I now know what that little lamb represents to the world: safety, comfort, warmth and love. And I guess, that childlike version of the lamb isn’t that different from my adult version, and for that I’m thankful. For the lamb is unconditional love – in all versions of the Christmas story.

No comments: