Thursday, December 15, 2011

Los Angeles in December

Last night I hosted my writers' group's (FOS) last meeting of the year. I'll be heading to Michigan on Saturday (CHRISTMAS! YAY!) and we won't meet again as a whole group until the middle of January. So we decided (spurred by Angela's great idea, yes, she's a part of FOS, a very important part!) to have a little Christmas party potluck-style. And it turned out to be a fabulous evening.

The weather's cool enough to require heat here in L.A. this year (I've spent Decembers here when it's been in the 40s and when it's been in the 80s) which I love (though my checkbook does not) because it means I can light candles (and run the furnace - boo). I love candles. Especially peppermint ones. So last night I lit the candles and we had a wonderful evening. We ate (soup and rolls and chips and guacamole and cookies, too many cookies). We talked about life, about what's going on with our writing, about just everyday stuff. And that's what I love - FOS has become more than just a writers' group for me, they're my friends. I love that we can spend four hours on a Wednesday night talking and laughing and sharing stories, then jump right into a table read of a zombie script.

To me Christmas is all about spending time with the ones I love. The ones I hold most dear. I get to do that in Michigan each year. But now I get to do that in L.A. too. I get to spend time with writer friends, church friends, and all my other friends and to me, that's just freakin' cool.

So while I won't be doing much writing in the next few weeks, I will be doing a lot of living. A lot of listening and a lot of thinking. I'll be spending time relaxing and entertaining and just enjoying the heck out of life. Because, really, what could be better?

So "Merry Christmas" from Los Angeles. (It's only 57 degrees and threatening rain here today so don't hate us too much.) And Michigan? Bring on the snow!!!

1 comment:

Writer Monkey said...

So glad that you are getting to go home for Christmas. Enjoy time with your family and friends.

Merry Christmas!