Monday, December 19, 2011

Mom's devotion (guest blogger!)

This is the devotion my mom, Chris Knapp, wrote for the Down Home Devotional put out by Howell First United Methodist Church this advent season:

"The real meaning of Christmas through the eyes of a child"

Christmas was a busy time at our home, gifts to make, presents to wrap, cookies to bake, getting ready for the large group of relatives and friends who would share our holiday.

Christmas Eve was what I remember most, we would go to church, the lit candles, the beautiful Christmas tree, and the organ music. My Grandfather sang in the choir, you better behave, listen, and sit very still or Grandpa would have a talk with you, this was very hard with the excitement of the day. Standing outside in the snow and cold to watch the live Nativity after our service.

We would end our service with Silent Night, my Dad's favorite song. He would say this song is the meaning of Christmas. Silent Night is my favorite Christmas song, reminds me of the days when our life was full of family, love and giving. When I hear or sing this song it reminds me of my Dad and always brings a few tears to my eyes. Think about the verses written below, this is our true meaning of Christmas. He came to save all who believe in him.

Bible Verse Luke 18:15-17

Sing all 4 verses of silent night.

Dear God, I ask that all our church family have peace, love and happiness as you share the true meaning of Christmas this year.

Chris Knapp

1 comment:

Puggleville said...

I love Silent Night too, and my favorite part of the Christmas Eve service at the Howell UMC was when we'd sing it by candlelight. I enjoy going to midnight mass at St. Paul's Cathedral in Minnesota, but no candlight service. :(