Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Bad Girls

I have a new favorite song. It happens from time to time, I get a little ditty stuck in my head and I can't get it out. I listen to it on repeat over and over, mostly in the car. And I get really excited when I hear it out and about in the world.

My new favorite song?

Bad Girls by M.I.A.

I heard it originally playing through a scene of the pilot of The Mindy Project that new sitcom on FOX created by Mindy Kaling. It was fun the way the music swelled and highlighted what was happening to the main character onscreen. It took a little Googling but I found out what the song was, downloaded it and put it on repeat.

Then last night I heard it again. Angela and I went to a screening of the new Melissa McCarthy/Jason Bateman comedy Identity Thief. And there was my song, playing at the beginning and the end, perfectly bookending the movie. I was in love. Until I was driving home from the grocery store this afternoon. Windows down. Bad Girls blaring through the stereo.

I was thinking about the movie. About the scenes over which the song played. And I suddenly realized, I can never use that song in my own movie. It's been done. Someone else did this really cool thing. Wow.

It was just an interesting thought. To think that this has been done. And can never be done the same way again. How each day, we do something different, maybe something similar but it's never going to be the same.

It was a great movie. Go see it when it comes out in February. (It was even better for me because I spent the entire screening with the knowledge that the screenwriter, Craig Mazin, was in the seat directly behind me! Very cool!).

And download the song, give it a whirl. Maybe you'll like it just a fraction as much as I do;-)

No comments: