Friday, September 21, 2012

Guts and imagination

Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. -- Sylvia Plath

Ah, self-doubt. Anyone know anything about that? Oh, wait. That's my hand that shot up in the air and then flew down only to creep back up, slowly. Yep, self-doubt.

I wrote a novel a few years back, actually finished it about three years ago. I was over the moon. It was before I was really into the screenwriting business. It was back when I was just a writer. I wrote and wrote and wrote. And I finally had this thing, this book, to hold in my hands. And hold I did. I copied it that December and gave a copy to my parents and several grandparents. I heard people enjoyed it though I don't know if I ever saw anyone reading it or if anyone had anything specific to say about it. I have one of those copies here and each time I run across it in the closet, I want to cry.


I love this book. I love the story. I love the characters. They are real to me. They are real and they are stuck in a closet gathering dust and hiding under a box of CD cases I'll never use but can't seem to part with. Why? Because I don't know what to do with this book I've made. This thing I've created.

I'm not sure what I thought would happen to it (okay, that's a lie - I was planning on giving it to my agent when I got one through my glorious screenwriting career) but nothing has, so far. That qualifier is the only thing that holds me - so far. I won't let that self-doubt stop me.

Today I start a rewrite. The novel is long, too long, for a first-time writer to get published so I need to cut. Kill my babies, as we say in writing circles. I need to edit and restructure and tame it. No small feat but nothing I can't handle. (Famous last words...)

So here I go. And hopefully, sometime in the near future, you'll be able to hold your very own copy of An every day silence by Sarah Knapp. Guts and imagination, here we go!

2 comments:

Puggleville said...

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/09/to_succeed_forget_self-esteem.html

Read this! :)

Writer Monkey said...

If you need an extra set of editing eyes, email me. I have plenty of experience editing books. If you need professional advice, email Julie Garwood. She is a saint. I have corresponded with her over the years, and she is very helpful.