Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A commencement that is only the beginning...

On Saturday as we left the San Diego Convention Center in the middle of the afternoon after a lovely commencement ceremony my dad commented to me, "Do you think this will be the last one for all of us?"

I told him I didn't know. For our little family unit of four, this is the eighth graduation we've attended together. There was my dad's graduation from Cleary University back when Angela and I were little (but not too little that I don't remember that hot day sitting under the tree outside seeing my dad in his blue cap and gown!). Then there were high school and college graduations and then I managed to have two more ceremonies, from grad school then from UCLA's screenwriting program. With Angela's graduation on Saturday we figure we're done. But who knows? There are still doctorates and other degrees...(but we'll pay off this student debt first!).

But you know the coolest thing? My parents have encouraged us from day one by example and by instruction. Go to college. Keep learning. Read. Write. Study. They read the paper every day front to back. They both have college degrees. They lead Bible studies and learn new skills working on mission projects. They are amazing and exactly what I aspire to be.

So is it the last one? Who knows. For a while most likely. But it doesn't have to be. There's a lot out there none of us have experienced yet! But for now we'll bask in Angela's accomplishments - her Master of Education degree! - and celebrate for a while.


No comments: