Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Challenge Accepted

Two weeks ago Noelle, awesome college apartment roommate of Angela and I, posted on Facebook that she was going to challenge herself to a reading contest. You know, like those ones we all had to do in elementary school where you read for 15 or so minutes a day and your parent signs off on it? I commented, "Challenge accepted."

Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday.

Just in time for May - so here goes. Starting today, I am going to challenge myself to read and write every day. For at least a few minutes. Maybe more. Maybe less. Off to a good start so far - today I read the new issue of Written By, the Writers Guild magazine, and a really long article in The Hollywood Reporter. Also, the LA Times this morning (most of it, well, fine, I read the front page article in Column One and the comics. It's still reading).

Also, I wrote. A lot. I wrote with my fingers too, not my computer. I wrote note card after note card detailing the new outline for my comedy pilot. I wrote jokes and dilemmas and conflicts and a long list of what might get thrown in a food fight. Then I wrote about the five stages of grief and how I might fit them all into a 22-minute sitcom script and make them hilarious. Yes, grief.

So -- here goes! May is reading (and writing) month! Game on, Noelle and Angela!

No comments: