Sunday, June 02, 2013

40 Years Ago Today

My Grandma MacDonald liked to tell the story of how my parents barely knew each other when they got married. (In reality, they knew each other about six months.) She liked to tell the story of the snow storm that forced my Dad into sleeping on the couch on their porch and how she knew Tommy was a part of the family after that night. She liked to tell the story about how hot it was the day my parents got married. That day? Forty years ago today, June 2nd, 1973.
The bride and groom, 40 years ago today
Everyone who was at the wedding has a story, I'm sure of it. I've looked at the photos enough to know the stories almost by heart myself. The powder blue tuxedos, the 4-H hall reception, the beehive hairdos and the smiles. I've heard the tales over many nights. I've slept on sheets and used dishes that were wedding presents. I've even admired the napkins leftover from the reception. I've run my hand over the guest book and touched the lace on my Mother's dress.

I wasn't there but I share in the memories. I share in the happiness they've brought to each other and everyone they've met before and since. Forty years. Over 14,500 days together. It's an accomplishment and something to celebrate. It's rare in our society and it's special. Just like the two of them.

My parents headed home Tuesday after spending three weeks out here in L.A. with Angela and I. We added to the already huge book of memories we share with them. And I can't wait to see what they do with the next forty years!

I love you two! Happy anniversary! 

The groom and bride, just last week




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still looking for the "really really really like" button on the blog! A wonderful tribute to two exceptional people. Hugs D

Anonymous said...

Darcee - Thanks for sharing brought tears to my eyes... you two girls are as special as your wonderful parents!

Doris - Happy 40th!!!!! Wow - how did that happen? I came across a couple of the pics the other day and just chuckled. Must admit, I don't remember much about the church part - but I do remember how much FUN I had at your reception. What I actually remember most about your wedding was that my grandmother went on a trip - which was the only time I ever remember her not being at her house (or around) in Sarnia. That to me is the marker and shows how very special our family is to each other.

Puggleville said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!