Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My little summer hiatus

In the TV production world a hiatus is a work stoppage, usually over the spring/summer months (but now all crazy with cable schedules), when the actors, writers and crew take their break. Most of the hiatuses are finished (for instance Bones went on hiatus sometime in April/May and went back to work yesterday, well the writers did - the actors and crew will go back the end of July), some just began (Grey's Anatomy and Scandal started their hiatuses yesterday), and mine? It starts tomorrow!

If there's one thing I'm good at (and there aren't a lot of things, see my resume), it's meeting deadlines. Setting goals and reaching them. So when I decided to have a draft of my new sitcom pilot done by this week, before leaving on vacation tomorrow, I wasn't worried. Well, I was a little worried. At the time that I made that grand pronouncement (April 11) I didn't have an outline much less a solid idea of what my script would be about much less look like. And yet...less than two months later...

The first draft is done.

Yesterday I typed END OF SHOW on the bottom of the last page and it felt amazing. In less than two months I had come up with an idea, created some pretty solid characters (I guess we've surpassed humble bragging and just moved into boasting here), and devised their world. I figured out story lines and runners (jokes that move throughout the story) and gave each of the people in my script a voice. The start of a very distinctive voice.

This amazes me because two months ago my white board was blank. These 45 pages were blank (yes, 45 seems long for a sitcom script but a) it's a first draft and b) the pilot script for Two and a Half Men is 50 pages). Two months ago I didn't know these four people who now speak to me and talk through and around me. Two months ago I had no idea if I'd actually meet this arbitrary deadline I'd written down for myself (yes, I'm a big believer in writing things down - it feels so good when you get to check them off your list! So good!).

Also, the script came together much faster than I'd ever have dreamed because during those eight short weeks, my parents were here for three and there were many hours, so many, when I should have been writing and was not. Even yesterday I found myself squandering away precious hours wishing I could go back to sleep, doing laundry, checking in on the SIMS on the iPad, et cetera et cetera. And yet...

In the words of my favorite writer Anne Lamott, I have a "shitty first draft" complete. To me, that means the world. The world is exciting. The world has begun. The world is ready for what's next.

And so am I.

Something else happened as I finished the script yesterday, something new. I immediately texted my producer Sonora and let her know I'd finished. My goal included sending her the script yesterday by three p.m. though I knew that would be pushed back a little so I could proofread (she actually got the script this morning by seven a.m. PST!). She texted back a fun AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Then my phone rang. I can't tell you how cool it was to have someone as excited as I was that I finished. She congratulated me, we talked for a moment and then that was it. Short, sweet and perfect. Exactly what I needed. What my little soul desired. And got. How cool is that?

So now? Now I'm going on my own hiatus. I'm leaving for Michigan in the morning and I'll be gone A MONTH. I'm so freaking excited for bonfires and grandneighbors and golf and family and Tiger games and swimming and fireworks and reading. So excited! I'll still be working (yay UoP!) and I'll still be thinking about my script (little tiny yay!) but mostly, I'll be having fun!

And then in July? We'll start work on draft two! But for now? HIATUS!

UPDATE: The picture on the right was sent to me this morning by Sonora - she immediately printed the script and read it! I love that!!!!! 

No comments: