Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11 through new eyes

It had run across my brain several times in the last week that we were approaching 9/11. I several calendars to remind me and I noted that it was on a Tuesday, just like back in 2001. I hadn't put much thought into it until today. I gave my students the writing prompt of journaling about "Patriot Day" as it's now been named, and what this day means to our country, and what significance it has to them. During my first two classes of the day they wrote, asked questions, made comments about planes and buildings, etc. but we moved on quickly. I had one boy who told me they'd visited Ground Zero a few years ago.

But then came announcements after lunch when there was a video tribute complete with sorrowful sounding songs. I braced myself for the barrage of comments I'd be sure to hear. The problem with this age group is they were only five to six years old when this happened so while they don't know a pre-9/11 world, they don't remember 9/11 either. So we watched.

There was old footage of the towers being hit and people running and screaming. There were short interviews and shots of wreckage. I was immediately taken back to that morning. To sitting on the old brown couch in our apartment in Kalamazoo, trying to comprehend what was happening. I remembered getting the email from my cousin in Canada who wanted to make sure we were okay and said she couldn't get through on the phone lines. I remember being scared and having no idea what to do but sit and watch the television.

I had goosebumps and I felt tears but I held them back. I had girls in my room who were crying visibly and I don't know whether that was for real or for show. Either way, it affected me. I knew I needed to set a good example and sit there and watch, pay attention to the video but I didn't want to watch it. I'd watched it all the first time, and the second, and every year for the past six. I've seen those planes hit those buildings enough - they're ingrained in my memory, I don't need to see them again.

My kids were quiet during the whole ten minute presentation. I was impressed. On a good day we make it though the first news segment before their mouths' are off and running. But even if they don't really know why, they understand that today is a special day, it's a day to remember.

3 comments:

brickmomma said...

I honestly hadn't thought about it at all yesterday until I turned Oprah on.....I know, I know. But iahdn't left my house, turned any tvs or radios on all day, I guess.

Seh had children of victims and is was heart wrenching. I cried. I tried to sing to O when she finished her bottle and couldn't get any words out. It is still unreal to me. Maybe it always will be.

I love you, rockstar

MargyWrites said...

I couldn't watch it all either, Sarah. I sat through one song then had to find something else to look at. I now understand why my mom has always refused to watch WWII movies. I won't forget, but I don't want to relive it.

Gracie said...

It is amazing how one event can change the rest of our lives. Sept 11th for me was different, especially being in this city. I wish I had more time to pay tribute, especially since I go through Pentagon station. I don't know if life should continue or if we should stop on this day. I agree, I don't want to relive it. I've seen those pictures of the planes hitting the towers too many times, but its hard to know how to remember without seeing the pictures.