Monday, October 29, 2007

I made it through another Monday

I want to blog about vacation but again it's 9:30 and I haven't showered yet and I have to go to bed and...yes, I'll blog soon. But today is over and that's a start. It was a busy day. I had two formal observations - one by my principal and one by a person from our district office. The good news is that I aced them both. I got an 8 out of 8 on my evaluation this morning from my principal and the woman from the DO had only nitpicky things to say which I think is a good sign. All that and I got all ready for the rest of the week after school today.

Another cool thing happened today. We started reading Al Capone Does My Shirts, a novel about a kid who's family lives on Alcatraz in 1935 and my kids loved it! I got them all hyped for it last week by telling them about my trip and then today I took in all the books and fun stuff I bought for them. First thing in class they each got a big flashcard with a convict on it, his rap sheet and all, and they had to journal about what they'd ask him if they could interview him. They loved this, they wouldn't stop talking about it all day. I thought that was pretty cool. So I guess all the money and work getting ready for today was worth it. Also, we did a writing lesson on sequence and they got it. They totally got it. That never happens. So all in all a pretty darn good day in 7th grade.

I am off to sleep. I am still feeling tired from vacation but we're finally catching up. We've been cleaning and I've been writing and OH YEAH! Today I sent in my application for admission to film school at UCLA! (And my money of course.) It's official. Now I need to get my applications out to the other 3 schools in the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

The World through Angel's Eyes said...

Yeah for sending in the application. Sending up prayers for you.
As I learn about becoming a teacher and demonstrating the love for words to our students, I always think of you. You are amazing. I only hope that someday I can be as good as you. And yes, this means I will call from time to time looking for advice.
You ROCK!

Laura said...

The kids are either geeked at the idea of interviews, or figuring out just how to get into Alcatraz themselves.... ha ha